Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

NJ Newbie

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Rader Sidetrack 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I will be starting my first hive this spring. I'm trying to read and learn as much as possible to get things off to a good start so please forgive my newbie questions! =)
I'll be starting with one Langstroth hive and working my way up to two in a year or so. I have lots to learn and look forward to doing so here!

#4 ·
Hey, whats up Just53! I am also new to beekeeping, and will probably be asking a lot of those same questions you are talking about. When time allows I read way back in the Welcome forum and find answers to some of those questions. I most definitely hear you on the money thing- and I'm incredibly lucky that my job is picking up the cost of something I'd be throwing a lot of my own cash at- had I stumbled upon beeking instead of being guided to it by the boss' wife. I see you have NY in location, are you originally a NYer like me (Brooklyn, Bayville Montauk) who followed the migration out of the boroughs? And what part of state are you in? Hope you don't mind me asking, just curious as NJ and downstate NY don't seem to have the amount of beeks that you see from states like PA or the CAROLINAS. One thing everyone I've come in contact with since I became interested in bees said was to start with 2 or 3 colonies. They all said it provides some security, and options as you progress along the learning curve. But like I said, someone else is footing the bill, and I have almost 40 acres to play with. Wish you all the best with your bees, and such a great site when you are new to this like we are should be of great assistance. Regards, Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.