Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 558
  1. #521
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Volga, SD
    Posts
    2,790

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    You DO NOT know what else was added to initial nectar to convert it into the honey. -cerezha
    Honey is carbohydrates (sugars) collected, modified and stored by bees. Pollen is a protein source for bees. I've seen bees make honey from honeydew. No pollen was needed in that to make it into honey (I guess if you exclude honeydew honey from your definition of "honey," this line of reasoning becomes meaningless). Therefore, I do not consider pollen to be essential for the production of honey.

    Stating that honey is made from "nectar and pollen" implies that pollen is necessary in the modifications of collected sugars to make honey. If you wish to go that level of detail, why not state, "made from nectar, pollen and ash?"

    Sure, let's call all American cars just a "car", no brand names, no make etc. -cerezha
    I'm sorry. You lost me on this one. Are you agreeing that labeling all undetermined honeys as "wildflower honey" is just as much a failure to label them truthfully as simply labeling them "honey?" Or are you suggesting that all beekeepers be required to submit samples of honey for pollen analysis before selling any so that it can be labeled accurately? Or are you saying that consumers are refusing to buy products only labeled as "honey?"

  2. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by apis maximus View Post
    ...Well, the term multi-floral could be used...
    We are living in the 21st century.
    It is very easy to refer your customers to your web site. For example, all my labels contain this advice: "Visit as at: www.beebehavior.com"
    And consumers of my honey know how the seasonal information (always posted on my labels as Spring, Summer, Automn ) correlated to/with the blooming data, posted on my web site:
    http://www.beebehavior.com/bees_and_flowers.php
    In other words it is not to difficult to specify sources of nectar even in situation with Wild Flowers.

    From the other hand, in general, honey from commercial beekeepers relate to a mono culture or some mono cultures.
    And I saw many times labels with statement similar to this: "A select blend of ...honey").
    Therefore in my opinion "unknown Honey" - is a "gray area" for manipulations...

    I hope a new Honey standard will be more consumer friendly, but not the honey industry friendly.

    Boris Romanov

    P.S. - Related info
    "This is a surprise to many people because most honey purchased in supermarkets in the United States is made from unidentified blends of honey with a similar taste and appearance between brands (!!!). Once you have tried unblended honey from a single flower source or location, you will discover the variety and taste sensations that will amaze and delight. The United States, although relatively new to honey production compared to the rest of the world is the source for many of the finest single flower honeys."
    http://www.honeytraveler.com/types-of-honey/
    Last edited by Boris; 02-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.

  3. #523
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,483

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieck View Post
    Honey is carbohydrates (sugars) collected, modified and stored by bees. Pollen is a protein source for bees. I've seen bees make honey from honeydew. No pollen was needed in that to make it into honey (I guess if you exclude honeydew honey from your definition of "honey," this line of reasoning becomes meaningless). Therefore, I do not consider pollen to be essential for the production of honey...
    Honeydew contain the pollen mainly from wind-pollinating plants. Surprise: it has more pollen grains from wind-pollinating plants than from nectar producers. Total amount of insoluble matter in honeydew is lower than in whole honey, which is expected. From this prospective, honeydew to me has less health benefit than ordinary raw whole honey. In my personal opinion, honeydew needs to be called "honeydew", not "honey". Since, it is partially result of excretion by "animals" (other than bees), it is probably rich in organic matters and microelements - as any animal excretion. You need to be more careful and do not manipulate the words - I stated that honey naturally contains pollen and honey with pollen provides some health benefits. I did not state that honey is made from the pollen - do you see a difference? Such manipulations, in social networks have specific name. Do you know the name?
    Last edited by cerezha; 02-21-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: grammar
    Серёжа, Sergey

  4. #524
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,483

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieck View Post
    ...I'm sorry. You lost me on this one. ... simply labeling them "honey?" ....
    The same - just manipulating words. I could repeat it again (if you did not pay attention for previous 10 repetition) - I strongly believe that ANY consumer product must be properly labeled. It should contain the content (specify, what is in it); the origin; information on any harmful substances known to be in the product (lead,pesticides etc)... Such information does not hurt honest producer - it even makes the product looks better in consumer view. Hiding information by generalization is always suspicious. Playing words as you do - would not make your product better. But, even commodities usually specify what it is - unleaded fuel, 90 octane rate; fuel contains 10% ethanol ... raw sugar; sugar-rafinade; brown sugar... I do not know what is your agenda at this thread, but you flood the whole thread with manipulative words. If your point was to support packers in not disclosing the content of their jars - you did everything possible to attract people's attention to this issue and therefore work against big packers, who would prefer to stay in the shade... look, no one is participating in this anymore, where Mark and others?
    Last edited by cerezha; 02-21-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: clarification
    Серёжа, Sergey

  5. #525
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,312

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    The same - just manipulating words. I could repeat it again (if you did not pay attention for previous 10 repetition) - I strongly believe that ANY .. look, no one is participating in this anymore, where Mark and others?
    I think Kieck just has a bit higher pain threshold than the rest of us

  6. #526
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    2,665

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    oh man
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

  7. #527

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    look, no one is participating in this anymore, where Mark and others?
    Light bulb turns onÖÖ
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  8. #528
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    ... where Mark ...
    I hope Mark is still trying to obtain some real proofs to reply to my post # 471...

  9. #529

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I hope Mark is still trying to obtain some real proofs to reply to my post # 471...
    Light bulb is still off......
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  10. #530
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Light bulb turns on……
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Light bulb is still off......
    ...

    Are you a bulb switcher?

  11. #531
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester County, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,575

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    ....the new fluorescent light "bulbs" are not bulbs at all....they are not bulbous in shape, and to call them "light bulbs" would be to misidentify them to tne public as "bulbs"

    Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

  12. #532
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,903

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I hope Mark is still trying to obtain some real proofs to reply to my post ...
    Get a clue .....

    Mark gave up on any hope of you making sense long ago. From post #478:

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Unsubscribing this Thread from my Subscribed Threads List.


    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

  13. #533

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    ....the new fluorescent light "bulbs" are not bulbs at all....
    I stand corrected.
    My statements should have read...
    Light producing device has been enabled
    and
    Light producing device has yet to be enabled.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  14. #534
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester County, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,575

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    I think that technically speaking, it converts electrical energy into light....it does not "produce" light, but emits light. This action requires more than the device, it needs an entire system in place supplying electrical current....the correct term to describe the light emmission would be energized and deenergized or relaxed.

    Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

  15. #535
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,903

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Well, "bulbs" that emit light don't necessarily have to use any electricity. Here's one example:

    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

  16. #536
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,312

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    I disagree Dean. It actually turns electrical energy into two things heat energy and light energy. A very important distinction I believe. I am confused, though, as to whether this energy is truly electrical current or perhaps processed and transformed electrical energy.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  17. #537

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    it does not "produce" light
    Once energy is applied....they produce light...right?
    produce: to give being or form to: bring about.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  18. #538

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    whether this energy is truly electrical current or perhaps processed and transformed electrical energy.
    We must also concern ourselves with convention. Are we dealing with current flow (positive to negative) or electron flow (negative to positive). These are important issues.....
    The debate continues.....NOT
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  19. #539
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,312

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The debate continues.....NOT
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  20. #540
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,903

    Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

    Some power company electricity used to produce light comes from "green" renewable sources like solar panels. And then there is "processed" electricity that comes from those evil coal-fired plants that, by law, should be labeled as "Processed Electricity."

    http://www.greenelectricity.org/renewables.php

    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads