Threaded View

Default Re: Tests Show Most Store Honey Isnít Honey

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Other things bother me more. What is sold as honey appears to be honey. Only it doesn't have pollen in it....

What purpose does the pollen in honey serve? And why do we say that the pollen is in the honey if it is integral to what honey is. How can the both exist independently if they are so integral?

No one is being fooled or lied to by a label which identifies the contents of a jar as HONEY...
    Mark,

I have a bad news for you.
    Below you can see a proof, that "honey" in Supermarkets is not real Honey anymore.
    As you can see - REAL HONEY it is not just an issue related to a pollen removal. For example Enzymes.

"COMPARISON OF MINERAL AND ENZYME LEVELS IN RAW AND PROCESSED HONEY" - Research Project Funded by National Honey Board (!)

"...Enzymes
    Without a doubt, heating and filtering honey reduces the final quantity of enzymes in
    honey. Enzyme levels dropped an average of about 35% when heating and DE filtration was
    used. Enzyme levels dropped about 15% using heating and straining. Enzymes such as
    invertase were nearly completely eliminated (!!!) by processing (average drop of 73%). Others,
    such as phosphatase dropped about 13%.
    That there was an average reduction is not a complete surprise—most enzymes are
    destroyed by heat. However, honey’s enzymes were not completely destroyed by processing.
    Quite the contrary, some enzymes increased after being blended. It is likely this occurred due
    to the highly variable nature of the honey samples. For instance, the range in enzyme levels
    for some honeys were two the three times higher from one sample to the next. "
    http://www.honey.com/images/uploads/...-raw-honey.pdf

Is a level of Enzymesins in honey important? - see two examples from my previous posts.

So, can you label a 1% Milk as a Whole Milk?
    Therefore I think your statement: "...No one is being fooled or lied to by a label which identifies the contents of a jar as HONEY" is incorrect.

If we are thinking about ethical behavior - the Packers should use the labels similar to these: "Filtered Honey", "Processed Honey", "Heated Honey" and so on.

Boris Romanov
    Last edited by Boris; 02-10-2013 at 10:07 AM.