Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Backyard: if there was one tree you could buy, which one and why

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  R Dewhurst 
#1 ·
I have space to put in one tree in my backyard. Which one should I get for the bees? Can't get bigger than 20 feet.
Thank you

#2 ·
Re: Backyard: if there was one tree you could by, which one and why

Ca Privet only gets about 20' & blooms in the summer when most trees are finished. They have purple seeds on them right now in my neighborhood. Grows like a weed easy to start.
The Bee Bee tree also blooms in the summer. Might get to tall?

My why on choosing them is the bloom time, & that the bees really work them.
If you didn't have the height restriction I'd add some winter blooming eucalyptus.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Re: Backyard: if there was one tree you could by, which one and why

There are lots of great trees out there. I haven't bought a single plant for our yard in 10+years that wasn't a good bee plant. BUT, what you should do is some homework... find a tree that blooms during a dearth in your area. Adding a crabapple in an area dense with crabapples, well it's a great bee tree but if you want to help the colonies out (and have denser foraging and viewing), pick something hardy that meets a forage need in your locale. The easy way is to wait until a dearth, and then go to the tree center and see what has tons of bees on it :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.