Default Catch the Buzz - Job oppertunity

CATCH THE BUZZ

The Job Of A Lifetime! Check This Out If You Want To Get Paid To Learn Bees!

Must posses a willingness to adapt at a moments notice, enjoy a thrilling fast paced atmosphere, and have a passion for bees

The Bee Informed Partnership (www.beeinformed.org) is seeking additional Tech Team transfer members to work with commercial beekeepers in the southeast (primarily Florida, Alabama, Georgia) and when they move their colonies into almonds in California. The salary range is $35,000 - $39,000 (based on experience) per year and will include full medical and retirement benefits. It is has not yet been determined what institution the job will be based from.

The positions require at least 2 years beekeeping experience, preferably in a commercial beekeeping setting. It entails intense fieldwork at times, extensive travel, close interaction with beekeepers and many other members of the Bee Informed Partnership (BIP) team. These interactions require the applicant to be a good beekeeper, work well in a team environment, listen well, be non-judgmental, communicate effectively with team members, be self-starting, hardworking, and sensitive about privacy and security of all data collected. The job entails the following:

Field Work:

Be the primary contact between BIP and the beekeepers for any virus/pest/hygienic sampling and testing and presenting results

Accurately, efficiently, and confidently, identify, diagnose, record, and report biotic and abiotic components of a honey bee hive through inspections and assessments

Lift heavy honey supers to sample the broodnest during honey production

Collect a wide range of samples from colonies to be tested for but not limited to the following: Parasitic Mites, Nosema, Viruses, Pesticides, Reproductive Potential and Hygienic Testing

Work with and ship hazardous materials such as dry ice, liquid nitrogen, alcohol and live bees

Lab and Administrative Work

Work with BIP scientists to develop and conduct applied experiments

Manage BIP lab space in both the southeast and in southern CA, including purchasing supplies

Write a weekly BIP blog

Examine manuals to determine the use of new equipment, tools and computer programs

Meet at least once a quarter for a formal meeting to present BIP plan/results with BIP team and/or beekeepers

Process samples for Nosema and varroa mite loads

Print data and data summaries and organize them into binders on a regular basis to keep up to date records of each individual beekeeper

Record, copy and place in binders: economic baselines, management surveys, records of receipts of purchases such as travel, gas, equipment, etc.

Presentations, posters and other media to facilitate project related goals

Willingness to adapt at a moments notice, enjoy a thrilling fast paced atmosphere, and have a passion for bees

Those interested should email a current resume and at least 2 references to Karen Rennich at usbeesurvey@gmail.com. Application deadline is March 16th.

No virus found in this message.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2441/5317 - Release Date: 10/08/12
    Internal Virus Database is out of date.

You received this email because you subscribed to Catch The Buzz

Unsubscribe
    Change settings
    Report abuse
    How many people meet this criteria and want to work for 30-40K?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Catch the Buzz - Job oppertunity

Wow, dreams DO come true!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

here's another! if only it was closer!

Interested in working with bees in Pennsylvania? (Native bees, that is, not honey bees.)

Job Posting: Native Bee Research Technician
    Job Title: Research Assistant/Technician

Job Description:
    Field and laboratory assistant needed to help with data collection for a Penn State Department of Entomology Master’s thesis project. Research is focused on the contribution of flowering spring cover crops to local native bee communities in an organic agriculture setting. Work will include both outdoor field work (80%) at Penn State University research farm and indoor laboratory work on campus (20%) sorting and identifying samples collected in the field. Daily work will include visual pollinator observations, crop growth evaluations, setting and checking insect traps, sorting and curating bee samples. Assistant will work alongside primary researcher but may be asked to work independently or temporarily assist with other organic agriculture research being conducted onsite.

Required Qualifications:
    Ability to work outside for long periods of time
    Desire to learn insect group identification
    Attention to detail
    Valid U.S. driver’s license

Desired Qualifications:
    Previous field work experience
    Insect collection experience
    Data entry experience (Excel)

Job Details:
    Project runs from April 1 through June 28, 2013 with possible extension. Part-time (20-40 hours a week, $10 per hour) depending on field schedule and availability, hours somewhat flexible but must be able to work at least some weekday mornings (8am – 1pm).

Application:
    To apply or to request further information please send short letter of interest to Katie Ellis at kee142@psu.edu

I think I would jump at the chance if I didn't have a wife, three kids, a house, two cars and my own bees to take care of. "Uh, Honey, would you mind if I left for a few months to...?" I don't think that will fly. No puns intended.

Would be fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    I think I would jump at the chance if I didn't have a wife, three kids, a house, two cars and my own bees to take care of. "Uh, Honey, would you mind if I left for a few months to...?" I don't think that will fly. No puns intended.

Would be fun though.
    +1