Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default People and smokers

Could some people help me out with either some answers? or even better, some pictures?

I'm redesigning the bee smoker for my University grad project and wanted to know, where do people keep their bee smokers when not in use? Or when transporting them to and between sites? I've got my own way but was interested to see how others differed?

On another note, If you have hives at different apiaries, how far would you normally expect to walk from the vehicle to the hives? I've not been to many apiaries so lack knowledge in that department!

Any further ideas or comments are welcomed!
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

Default Re: People and smokers

I have three yards One is in my back yard The Next one is a ten min drive in the city. And The last is a 1/2 hour drive into the contry. The 10 min drive one most times I drive with in 60Ft of it. Unless I am doing alot of moving . Then 20 ft. The one out in the contry drive right up to them, Grass Feild. I drive a full size van Smoker gets a plug of green leaves and put in a five gallon metal bucket with the rest of my supplys. I do want to find something better but havent found it or design one yet.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

smoker goes in an empty bee box on the back of the truck grass stuffed in the spout when travelling between sites hive tool goes in the side of the smoker between the body and the grill. We use the Lega brand

all sites can be driven right up too.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    I have three yards One is in my back yard The Next one is a ten min drive in the city. And The last is a 1/2 hour drive into the contry. The 10 min drive one most times I drive with in 60Ft of it. Unless I am doing alot of moving . Then 20 ft. The one out in the contry drive right up to them, Grass Feild. I drive a full size van Smoker gets a plug of green leaves and put in a five gallon metal bucket with the rest of my supplys. I do want to find something better but havent found it or design one yet.
    David
    The green grass plug is iconic across the beekeeping community I guess, Where do you keep your equipment when your not using it then? Does everything have its own place? or is just left in the bucket till its next needed?
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    smoker goes in an empty bee box on the back of the truck grass stuffed in the spout when travelling between sites hive tool goes in the side of the smoker between the body and the grill. We use the Lega brand

all sites can be driven right up too.
    Thats an interesting habit, combining the tool and the smoker, keeping it all together. How do most people carry their smokers? in the hand, a bag, a bucket or maybe even hooked to the belt if cold?

My only yard is in my backyard so my smoker sits on the floor of my garage until I need it next. I shut mine down with a cork and set it on the floor away from anything flammable until it cools.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I too move between yards with the smoker in metal can (ammo style) and the hive tool between the body and the grill. I park within a 30-40 ft of my hives in each of my 5 yards. Since I don't have to hike to the hives I just carry the smoker in my hand. I do have a nuc box that is used for spare stuff that is always in the truck in case I need to make a quick split or catch a swarm.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I got one of those metal pet buckets with the lid that seals 'airtight'. I plug the spout with a paper towel and the smoker goes in the bucket with the top on to keep the car from smelling like smoke. I have one of the big smokers and it fits perfectly in the bucket which is from Lowes.

I carry the smoker by hand I usually dont need anything else when working a yard so wouldn't bother with carrying around a bucket or anything else.
    If it's the bee season the smoker either sita on the back of the truck in the empty bee box or on top of anything handy in the home yard. If the season is finished it goes in the shed

After looking over some of your designs I am very interested to see what you come up with!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have 4 yards about 3 to 5 miles apart. I use a Chevy Tahoe, so i don't want smoke inside the vehicle. I use an Army Ammunition can, it is air tight and the smoker goes out in about a minute or so. At the next site, I simply relight the smoker. I park behind the line of hives so I carry the smoker in my hand, hive tool in a leather pouch, Tahoe has about anything you might need at any yard, including, frames, boxes, reducers, tops, excluders, feeders etc.

cchoganjr

My hives are all in my yard, so my smoker travels in hand. When I'm done with it, I have a big coarse threaded bolt that fits in the spout just right. Thread her in, and she is pretty well sealed up.

Smoker toter.

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on lining it with aluminum flashing.

IMG_0112235.jpg

When I use my smoker I just set it on the next hive lid. I always carry a bucket about 1/2 full of water to the bee yard for washing up and when I'm done I just dump the contents of the smoker out into the bucket of water, give the smoker time to cool down and then put it in the crate that holds extra stuff I have. Need to build a beekeepers box soon and it will have an exterior metal compartment to store the smoker in when it's not in use.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Love the smoker toter! Just don't burn your bumper!

djastram.... I have used something like that, A Chevy Tahoe has a stepdown bumper, i can set the smoker in the stepdown and bunji cord hold it. Bunji cord attaches to two rings from the license plate holder. Only problem I have found is, if you are going very far, the air flow will keep the smoker really stoking. I burn up a lot of fuel in a short distance. I use it when going the 3 miles, but beyond that, i put it in the Ammo Can and let it go out.

cchoganjr

0201132039.jpg

This is where I keep it when not in use and when in use. The back of the truck is where you will find it most often, under a locked topper. Hard (if not impossible) to see, but the carry all has a built in handle in the middle divider.
    Holds just about everything I need.

the air flow will keep the smoker really stoking.
    LOL, I have been flagged down because folks thought my truck was on fire!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have 8 out-yards, growing to 12 in 2013. Some hives I can drive up to, some are a 1/2 mile hike from the nearest parking. For the hiking hives, I have a wagon with pneumatic tires (like a miniature hay wagon) that I use to haul supplies and tools in, and honey out. I keep the smoker in a metal pail at all times, I don't want to start a grass fire unintentionally. Between yards, I plug up the spout with grass, it is usually still smoking when I get to the next yard. When done, I douse the smoker with water from a gallon jug, and dump everything (water and smoker contents) into the bucket. You can tell a beekeeper by the way their clothes and truck smell! (like a campfire).
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

A design that provides a convenient place to put a hive tool. I thought about pounding the flashing down on the bellows and adding Velcro or loops so it would sit flush. It gets hot, scoured and rattles around when you put it in the cage. A hole/gate in the bottom so you can light after you load fuel one that takes advantage of the chimney affect of the bellows. Micheal Bush adds a insert made of a can punched with holes to increase air flow I've never tried it but it seems clever. A more natural bellows fabric beekeeper seem attracted to stuff like that. A spark arrestor I 'm not sure I have a need but people in dry climates might need it. Design arrestor so that it closer up or reduces air flow with a twist,creasote may be an issue maybe an exta one to burn off in chamber or a self cleaning one. A hook,clip or metal ear so smoker can be hung or slid into back pocket or belt hot side out. A flat narrow opening of adjustment of smoke spout pattern and angle so that smoke can be easily directed between frame and hive body before first frame is pulled. A rest that both secured and plugs smoker when you snap it into it.I generally hold it with my knees.

I sometimes walk 60 yards at one yard if I don't have a lot to carry and don't feel like opening gates to drive in. I plug my smoke with a carved piece of wood that I need to chain to my smoker. I also have a old metal box my wife found at a garage sale. At home the smoker usually sits where a left it the last time I used it!