Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default People and smokers

Could some people help me out with either some answers? or even better, some pictures?

I'm redesigning the bee smoker for my University grad project and wanted to know, where do people keep their bee smokers when not in use? Or when transporting them to and between sites? I've got my own way but was interested to see how others differed?

On another note, If you have hives at different apiaries, how far would you normally expect to walk from the vehicle to the hives? I've not been to many apiaries so lack knowledge in that department!

Any further ideas or comments are welcomed!
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

Default Re: People and smokers

I have three yards One is in my back yard The Next one is a ten min drive in the city. And The last is a 1/2 hour drive into the contry. The 10 min drive one most times I drive with in 60Ft of it. Unless I am doing alot of moving . Then 20 ft. The one out in the contry drive right up to them, Grass Feild. I drive a full size van Smoker gets a plug of green leaves and put in a five gallon metal bucket with the rest of my supplys. I do want to find something better but havent found it or design one yet.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

smoker goes in an empty bee box on the back of the truck grass stuffed in the spout when travelling between sites hive tool goes in the side of the smoker between the body and the grill. We use the Lega brand

all sites can be driven right up too.

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    smoker goes in an empty bee box on the back of the truck grass stuffed in the spout when travelling between sites hive tool goes in the side of the smoker between the body and the grill. We use the Lega brand

all sites can be driven right up too.
    Thats an interesting habit, combining the tool and the smoker, keeping it all together. How do most people carry their smokers? in the hand, a bag, a bucket or maybe even hooked to the belt if cold?
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

I too move between yards with the smoker in metal can (ammo style) and the hive tool between the body and the grill. I park within a 30-40 ft of my hives in each of my 5 yards. Since I don't have to hike to the hives I just carry the smoker in my hand. I do have a nuc box that is used for spare stuff that is always in the truck in case I need to make a quick split or catch a swarm.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I got one of those metal pet buckets with the lid that seals 'airtight'. I plug the spout with a paper towel and the smoker goes in the bucket with the top on to keep the car from smelling like smoke. I have one of the big smokers and it fits perfectly in the bucket which is from Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    I have three yards One is in my back yard The Next one is a ten min drive in the city. And The last is a 1/2 hour drive into the contry. The 10 min drive one most times I drive with in 60Ft of it. Unless I am doing alot of moving . Then 20 ft. The one out in the contry drive right up to them, Grass Feild. I drive a full size van Smoker gets a plug of green leaves and put in a five gallon metal bucket with the rest of my supplys. I do want to find something better but havent found it or design one yet.
    David
    The green grass plug is iconic across the beekeeping community I guess, Where do you keep your equipment when your not using it then? Does everything have its own place? or is just left in the bucket till its next needed?

My only yard is in my backyard so my smoker sits on the floor of my garage until I need it next. I shut mine down with a cork and set it on the floor away from anything flammable until it cools.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

It ends up in the bucket. I have some rare earth magnets to hold some tools on the side up high on the bucket. But I really need to find a better way. I hate digging for things on the bottom of the bucket. I have been thinking on building something like Beemans
    David

Quite surprised at the amount of responses I've received! hopefully the weekend will provide another wave of answers and suggestions.

I can see a few trends appearing in the way you guys store them depending on seasons and space available. The information about distance walking to apiaries is extremely valuable as I just have no idea after only ever having one site.

Would people say they see there smokers as short or long term products? 1-2 years or 5+ maybe? I guess it depends on usage? I know I'm quite delicate with mine (even though its sturdy) but it would be interesting to see if people throw theirs about a little bit more then I do.

Are people more then happy to try repair their smoker if it breaks then? I.e a tear in the billow?

Once again, thanks for the replies and keep all suggestions and answers coming!

[QUOTE=lgrieve91;891979].Would people say they see there smokers as short or long term products? 1-2 years or 5+ maybe? Are people more then happy to try repair their smoker if it breaks then? I.e a tear in the billow? QUOTE]

A good smoker will last a long time for a commercial beekeeper, and should last a lifetime for the hobbiest.

Depending what goes wrong, you can repair, or you may have to replace. If the metal splits or deforms, (normally from being too hot) you may have to buy a new smoker. If the bellows fail, they can be replaced, normally about 1/2 the cost of a new smoker.

A little secret I will share with you. Beekeepers, use your smoker extensively, purposedly let it get too hot, allow it to become deformed, smoked up all around, with soot and tar in the chamber. Then sell it to a novelty/antique shop for almost as much as a new smoker costs. Novelty/antique shops are always looking for very, very, well used bee smokers. I have also seen some well used smokers go for big bucks on eBay. People collect them.

cchoganjr

Definitely a long term investment, definitely repairable, and while I don't throw mine around I don't treat it with kid gloves.

Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

[QUOTE=Cleo C. Hogan Jr;892064]
    Quote Originally Posted by lgrieve91 View Post
    A good smoker will last a long time for a commercial beekeeper, and should last a lifetime for the hobbiest...
    Mine is 50 (?) years old, authentic woodman... I am using castor oil to condition the leather in the billow. So far, so good.
    Серёжа, Sergey

I've really been meaning to drill a hole in the side of mine near the bottom to use to light through and then put a little pivoting door over it. Read about that modification a while back and think that would be a great feature for your new design.

I rework my billows. One board broke

I'm redesigning the bee smoker for my University grad project and wanted to know, where do people keep their bee smokers when not in use? Or when transporting them to and between sites?
    I use a six gallon trash can in the back of a pickup truck and leave it in it in my barn.
    Some other ideas:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...avel-container
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    http://photobucket.com/MCBees

I use a wine bottle cork with an eye-hook screwed into the top for easy removal. See pic. This chokes out the flame long before I leave the yard. Usually all I carry is a hive tool and a smoker, and I keep the cork in my chest-pocket. Sometimes it falls out when I lean over, so maybe it should be tied to the smoker itself. smoker.jpg

I'm redesigning the bee smoker for my University grad project
    What are your design goals?

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...eetools001.jpg
    I am a back yard beek so my smoker hangs on the side of a pallet that is a wind break fence year round. Fuel and matches are kept in a plastic jug and a jug was cut out to protect the bellows from weather. A proper sized stick is used to snuff out the smoker.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Plugged with grass and then hung over the bottom board of the back side of the F350 stake body truck. The smoker comes with a hook that fits the board very well. The truck, usually driven between two rows of hives, makes it handy when the truck and equipment has hives on both sides of it. OMTCW

Absolutely brilliant feedback guys.

Really appreciate some of the ideas you've given me, and some of the points I'd have completely overlooked. It seems like theres been a few unlucky incidents with smokers being too hot, and its not the best for the bees either! I'm gonna try make sense of everything I've found out then I'll keep you updated!

Once again, many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast