Default Questions on making Frames

I know this has been talked about a lot and "Westernbeekeeper" did a great photo tutorial but I have a few question.

I've read a lot of post where they talk about setting the saw at 10 degrees to make the angled ear cuts, I set up my saw to make some trial pieces and I ended up with my blade around 5 degrees in order to get the dims. to match the "Dadant" frame.

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...t-type-frames/

I drew it up in CAD and found the actual angle to be 5.7 degrees. Can someone help me figure this out?

Here is Westernbeeker's photo that I added what the dims should be based in the above .pdf file. Westernbeekeeper, can you verify if your dims. match the drawing?

I'm sorry to be questions other peoples work but I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Thanks, Steve

Default Re: Questions on making Frames

A 10 degree angle will have a rise of .1102 inches in a 5/8" run. 1/16" is .0625" So you are right 10 degrees is not exactly right. But so what? I would not worry to much about it. It is not critical. Probably dimensions and angles were just rounded off.

Or if it works better for you set your blade at 5.71 degrees. That should get you very close!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Steve,
    No problem to ask questions. I apologize if I wasn't clear on the photo tutorial thread. I did not use the plans from the site here to build them They are pretty much my own design. The top bar is about 5/8" thick. The the 1/2" measurement on the photo above is actually about 3/8"; the 5/8" measurement is actually about 7/16"; the 7/16" is actually about 1/4"; and the 3/8" is actually 1/4".

I set my blade at 6 degrees if i bother at all.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I just make mine flat, works fine for me. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by hig View Post

I'm sorry to be questions other peoples work but I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Thanks, Steve
    I doubt that Westernbeekeeper took offence at your question. It's clear that you are just trying to do a good job with your frames.

I think that sometimes when we are getting started, we feel that there is a right way, and everything else is wrong. This can get us hung up on details that really are not important.

Let us know how your frames turn out! BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Ralph

Just for what it's worth, a hollow ground planer blade on a table saw will deliver baby bottom smooth cuts...

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I doubt that Westernbeekeeper took offence at your question. It's clear that you are just trying to do a good job with your frames.

I think that sometimes when we are getting started, we feel that there is a right way, and everything else is wrong. This can get us hung up on details that really are not important.

Let us know how your frames turn out! BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for all the replies and the welcome to the club!!

I know sometimes when I get into thing I worry about the small things/detail too much and get bogged down.

I found this article on this site and found it very interesting.

http://www.beeculture.com/content/BeeSpaceArticle.pdf

I guess I just want to make sure when I have everthing finished that the bees like it and don't fill things up with propolis or comb where it shouldn't be!!

Thanks again, Steve

What are the benifits to the angled ears? The only one I can see is less contact area to get stuck to the hive body.

I believe that is exactly it. They are less likely to get stuck down.
    Ralph