Default Hot & Cold Weather - When do I put Pollen Patties in the hive

With all this weird weather, 50-70, one week then 30s' the next, lots of activity with the hives as the bees go out.
    I have been using sugar water in chick feeder and have candy boards on my hives, but should I also go ahead and put pollen patties in the hives as well to help with protein needs or is it still too early (Feb 1st)?

Default Re: Hot & Cold Weather - When do I put Pollen Patties in the hive

Actually kind of late.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Better late than never?

It is never too late! Better than nothing at all. Our avg temps here upper 50s on day and lower 30s at night time.
    I put sugar syrup and patty in the hive since December. Now they are munching on the patty everyday because the
    new queen laying lots of eggs now. The pollen and nectar the field bees collected is not enough food for raising the young larvae and keep others from being hungry. The only drawback now is a dirty bottom hive with the food particles and bits and pieces of wax paper from the patty. I would say take the wax paper off the patty and use a plastic sandwich bag instead. Next time I'll be better at feeding them patty. I found out that when they are raising bees it is not enough feed at this early time before the full swing of Spring. So anything would help to get them going a bit. Today I put in honey that I collected on last Fall to supplement them more.

It can get to be too late. At least for a guy from the South. When the SHB have started to fly, you don't want to be putting patties on because you will be creating an SHB party.... they love a patty.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran