Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Heating Nucs in Winter

Brandy, thanks for replying. I didn't know how large your enterprise was. It makes sense to me to keep those queens and not to have to buy any. I only have one yard so if I am successful with overwintering I will have excess to sell in the spring.

Brandy, what are the average low temps in the winter where you are at? John

So does anybody have experience using heat tape? How do you determine how long each nuc would need? Do you measure it in watts maybe? I found this nice specification sheet.

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20...Tech_Sheet.pdf

My first thought would maybe be a 15 foot length per two nucs.

Also how do you install the tape? I was just thinking that maybe you could embed it into the rear hard board insulation. Would that work?
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

There should be a wattage per foot rating on the "heat trace"(industrial term?).

crazy Roland

The link shows what the wattage is for each length. I just don't know what wattage I may need for each nuc.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

jmgi, I just checked and it looks like our average min. winter temps are very similar, 18-20 degrees. Although I will usually get a week or two in the -10 to -20 which is what I really hope to avoid!! This year, we've been lucky and haven't had that, yet...

Good luck to all that try something to help. JSL also tried and wrote about the Styrofoam nuc he used without heat. I couldn't justify the cost vs. wood, although by the time I add allllll the material etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    So does anybody have experience using heat tape? How do you determine how long each nuc would need?

Also how do you install the tape? I was just thinking that maybe you could embed it into the rear hard board insulation. Would that work?
    I bought a 30' tape and put 2" of styrofoam under the nucs. Ran the tape on it and put the nucs on top. I was not looking to get them real warm, just to help them maintain cluster heat. Of course I also enclosed the nucs with styro and only had upper and lower entrances for them. I had good luck with this arrangement. [100%] survival.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12