Default Tongue molding knife for comb guide on a topbar

Has anyone tried the tongue blade of a table saw molding knife to make comb guides on a top bar? This would make a much wider guide than a Popsicle stick guide, but would be one piece with less assembly. Would the bees take well to such a wide guide?

http://corobcutters.com/tongue-1.aspx

Default Re: Tongue molding knife for comb guide on a topbar

The "barefoot beekeeper" uses this type of comb guide in his TBH's, and said it is his favorite among the different types of comb guides. I think it would work well, IMO.

I think the comb guieds on the foundationless frames from Walter T. Kelley are about 1/4" wide. They seem to work ok. I'd rather have them a bit skinnier. If you're shaping it, put a bevel on it. This you can bring to a point and it will work better anyway...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When my dad gave me my grandfather's old table saw moulding cutter, we both agreed it was the most dangerous thing that I had in my shop. Rather than swapping the blade for the cutter and risking appendages firing that thing up, I just run a cut along the bottom edge and a cut along one side to create a spline that I rotate 90 degrees and tack in place.

Call me a coward, but I'd rather spend the day with a radial arm saw than allow a metal chip held in place with an allen screw to rotate at thousands of RPMs while I'm pushing a board across it.

Matt

cut them at 7 deg.... Kellys got theres from me..... and thats the angle that foundation atteches the strongest to them....

I just break out the wedge and throw it in the smoker fuel pile. The bees build just fine on the edge of the step that's left on the top bar.