Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Could chickens in the beeyard help with Small hive beetles?

16K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  mmmooretx 
#1 ·
Could chickens in the beeyard help with Small hive beetles? I was reading somewhere that someone was doing this. Do you think it could make a significant difference?

#5 ·
Dr. Peter Teal has done a lot of work with SHB....after hearing him talk this past summer, I learned that SHB prefer some fruits over bee hives....ripe cantaloupe being one of them. Based on what he reported, if I had SHB problems, I'd keep replenishing a supply of ripe cantalopue, and let the chickens in every 3-4 days to eat all the larvae.

The sound is a bit rough, but this is a video of the talk I saw....I highly recommend a watch.

#7 ·
I am no expert on SHB.. but we have MANY here. As for them staying in the hives.... I do know that when I open feed syrup to the bees I always see a few SHB in the syrup.... or if I lay a honey frame out to get cleaned up... there will be SHB on the frame outside the hive that weren't on the frame before I set it out. Have thought about putting out bait traps OUTSIDE the hives to see how many I could lure away from the hives.... will know more about it this summer.
AND... I can't have chickens here. Years ago I tried raising a few chickens.... had maybe 50.. and never ate the FIRST ONE because the hawks here are pretty bad... would find dead chickens with their backs ate out of 'em by hawks.... Only way to have a chicken where I live is in a cage. :) But the hawks are nice to watch too....

#13 ·
I've had chickens in my beeyard form the beginning, and never had SHB issues.

But how do you know if it's the chooks or the fact that the corn patch is only 2-3 feet away?
o
Or because they're in full sun?

I did count SHB trapped in hives inside and outside of the chicken yard. There where about double the number OUTSIDE the yard. Chickens do seem to help.

#12 ·
The Ol' Guy in 'Bama's right.

It warmed up to - 30 and a no-good tried to steal my hives...caught 'im though cuz he stopped for a minute to pick one up and his feet froze to the beeyard.
He tried slippin' his feet out of his boots, but only made it to the gate before he froze up solid on the gate bail.
I expect we'll leave him there until spring or the Sheriff asks after him whichever comes first.

No way the beetles'd live through this, you're right, Sip

And I was sure it was the corn close by that kept 'em off...

#21 ·
Sounds like there are mixed opinions on whether chickens affect the SHB population, but that is pretty normal for us beekeepers, right? :)

I have heard that the guinea hens are a lot better for insects as Lazer mentioned, but they sure can be annoying! Growing up my sister and I raised a bunch of guineas and chickens. The guineas would squawk at anything like a watch dog. Sometimes they would even get on the porch rails and squawk looking at the windows...LOL! The chickens weren't nearly as annoying. However, we let them free range and we didn't have our garden fenced. Once they figured out that tomatoes were edible they consumed quite a bit of tomatoes (we had a bunch of chickens though).

I really like the idea Deknow mentioned. It makes sense to lure those little SHBs into range so the chickens can get them!

So far, I have found the SHBs to be mostly a nuisance in my area of VA. However, it seems that there population has increased some this past year. This may be related to the increased use of small mating nucs I was running. The most vulnerable hives definitely seemed to be the smaller mating nucs like the two frame divisions of queen castles. I may try to use more larger mating nucs in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.