Default do I still have....

Do I still have a bee hive? I mixed in the original hive that have some workers with bees from another hive. Then the original queen got killed by the foreign workers. Now I put in a new queen bee. Everything is back to normal for now. So my question is do I still have a bee hive? Or I have lost them all already thru these changes? Physically, on the reality side, I do have a live and active bee hive with bees flying and raising their new bees only that the players had changed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sQj8h2m3w What do you think?

Default Re: do I still have....

Everything will depend on if the new queen is accepted, how long the hive was queenless and if there are enough bees in the cluster to raise the next generation. If you have 2 - 3 or more frames of bees and a good queen you they should get through although it may take a couple of brood cycles to overcome dwindle due to normal bee die off . You mention having bees coming and going which is good. Are they bringing in Pollen? This is usually a sign you have a queen laying and things are on track. If the new queen is accepted, you have eggs, a couple of frames of bees and the hive is actively working I would just make sure they have enough stores and let them work the rest out. When you check for eggs you'll need to see the queen AND eggs as well since a queenless hive may develop a laying worker laying unfertilized (drone) eggs and until the cells are drawn out they look the same as real queen eggs.

In the future if you need to join two hives, a newspaper between the hive bodies with a few small splits will allow them to combine better. They chew the paper up into bee bite size pieces and push it out the front door and the time working through the paper gives them a chance to get aquainted. We have little success in combing hives after the 1st frost and before dandelion bloom in the spring. Maybe because late fall and early spring cluster are so much more defensive.

I think you're question id if you still have the original hive, genetically no, but physically yes.
    Depends on what matters to you.
    Dan

I used the newsaper method with success many times when combining hives but usually tried to wait for the bees of one hive to realize they are queenless. The newspaper gives them the time they need to realize it and adjust to the new pheromone. Otherwise they see it as a threat. They think, "What? We have no queen? Do you catch that pheromone in the air? There's a queen here and we need her!" Lets join in." The same goes if a bee from another hive tries to visit. The bees see the different pheromone as a threat and will attack the intruder. Didn't realize the late fall and early spring increased resistance. I'm new to this forums and one thing I enjoy is I'm always learning from it.