Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do you use an inner cover or not and why

Adam and Adrian, do you cut the feed bags to fit or just give them a fold or two and put them on? Do either of you have a pic?

I cut them to fit leaving about an inch overlap.
    http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/us...ml?sort=6&o=41

I've begun to make my lids the same as the base, so they can be used as a top entrance.

The only cover I have is a piece of vinyl flooring cut about 1 inch shorter than each inside edge. So there is about a 1/4" gap above each end of comb for bees to have direct access to the comb from the top entrance.

Matthew Davey

Yes I use inner covers on my 10 frame colonies. I like the convenience of the inner cover hole to feed, I also like to use the notch in the inner cover during winter to help evacuate some of that moisture, and keep those bees from gluing a telescoping lid down to the frames. On my nucs I use all migratory lids though. But that is so I can scoot them together during winter.

Yes and no here also. When I was making my gear out of dimensional lumber I would put a dato in the bottom and put in some plywood. When the glue dried I cut it off and had perfect inner cover and help keeping the hive body squared. Thought I was clever. Now I have been building from rough cut lumber and just cut the hive to the correct dimensions. Some of my plywood covers need an extra brick to hold them down from warping.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...1_01190022.jpg
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by MAB52 View Post
    Adam and Adrian, do you cut the feed bags to fit or just give them a fold or two and put them on? Do either of you have a pic?
    I cut them to fit, and then I draw them back a bit so the bees can get by it as I have top entrances similar to Mike Bush's.

Adam

I used to use telescopic covers but with the arrival of SHB I found that they provided more hiding places for them.
    I use now an inner cover plus a migratory lid - and yet I never move my hives.

OK, I haven't seen any responses that really sell the concept of using inner covers other than to prevent the telescoping lid from being propolized down thus making it difficult to remove. I live in a tropical area and am wondering about how it helps/hinders the temperature of the hive. Any input would be most appreciated.
    2nd Year New-Bee - 15 Hives, 11 Nuc's, 26 Swarms, 3 Cut outs in 2014
    Zone 10 - B - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

In my earlier post.....

Also with this combination, you get the added benefit of a top entrance AND hive ventilation.

What we move south we don't as we use migratory covers and much of what we winter in the north have migratory covers. Having said that we have been discussing wintering in NY with all inner covers and telescoping lids because they:
    1) Alow us a higher level of "control" over the ventilation in winter. I think a top with direct ventilation or heat loss such as a migratory cover if they are used alone in winter, would be more heat loss for the "hive" area than if we have a controlled ventilation by proping the telescoping lid with a could of queen cages on top of the inner cover at the front and a telescoping cover on top. Although the cluster does not heat the hive space there is still a loss of residual heat given off by the cluster if the heat is just allowed to rise and leave through a "chimney" created by too much top ventilation. This would require more energy for the cluster to winter successfully. We've found a great difference between too little, just right and too much winter ventilation. We have hives winter successfully in singles with migratories but we find they do better with the inner cover - telescoping set up.
    2) Allows us to peak into a hive we are concerned about on a cold winter day without exposing the whole cluster to cold as we can peak through the hole in the inner cover.
    3) Helps prevent robbing as you only have a small opening in the inner cover which can be defended by a few guard bees. We know on our migratory lids, once robbing behavior begins in a yard it takes scads of bees to defend the openings.
    4) As Beeman indicated the hole is perfect for winter top feeding with a quart jar of warm syrup and it's useful to throw a hadful of granulated sugar on as well.
    5) Prying a propolised telesoping lid is usually difficult and often causes damage to the lid.

We found with top entrances we had bees putting a great deal more pollen in honey supers that later were to be extracted and found that pollen not only never got to the brood nest but had to be cleaned out by bees later. We still use upper entrances (but not top) as with singles and queen excluders we want to avoid field bees crowding the brood nest on incoming flights. Even with that configuration we still get more pollen in our honey supers that just goes to waste. In our 8 frame comb honey supers we use no upper entrance to avoid getting pollen in the comb honey.

Having to manipulate the innner covers in our summer work would be impossible and we can't transport hives with telecsoping lids but I like them for winter use and if I were running under 25 hives would likely use them year round.

I'm in Connecticut and am a newbie. First winter, only 1 hive but plan on expanding this spring. My setup right now is 2 deeps with an inner cover, 1 1/2" spacer on top of that with 1" foam insulation in the top section and then a telescoping cover. I put pennies under the front corners of the inner cover for added circulation.
    I'm wondering though why the girls are partying up on top of the inner cover every time i look?? Checked them again last night, cold and dark, with 18* weather and still partying up there!!!
    I know it's warm up there but shouldn't they be clustered down lower?? They were loaded with honey in the fall. Is it possible they are running out already??
    I'm also curious if I should not have created the little attic space with the spacer?!
    Any thoughts out there??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12