Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mann lake vs dadant frames

I buy Western Bee frames. The Budgets are just fine. Maybe 3 in 100 I have to treat special. I get them on a truck and they are way cheaper then 69c so price them out again.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    I buy Western Bee frames. The Budgets are just fine. Maybe 3 in 100 I have to treat special. I get them on a truck and they are way cheaper then 69c so price them out again.
    Paid 66 cents at dadants in Chico. If you add in the gas or shipping doubt the commercials would be much less elsewhere.

As per getting budget frames. Back in 1980 the first 100 frames we ever bought "new" were budgets. After that "experience" I vowed to never make that mistake again. ( been kept if I might add and gladly so) Cheap equipment always costs you more in the long run....ASSEMBLY TIME, LOWER PRODUCT LIFE, LONGER TIME MANIPULATING EQUIPMENT.... Which is another subject sadly enough

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    I will always say that ML's frames are some of the best I have ever come across, and you can't go wrong or get burnt with them.
    Ben, look up some old post here about ML woodenware, I posted pics, I got a thousand boxes with frames the stuff was so bad I got a renburst for the bad product after posting pics and making it a issue. The frames had a staple on the end bar going right down the grove of the top bar which bowed the wax insert. Try taking apart ten thousand frames & with a center pounce tapping the staple back into the wood groove. When I asked Stew about this all he said was a machine puts them together so when one is wrong there ALL wrong.... nice answer.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Having just ordered 600 ML frames, the prior message is concerning.

Keith; Were there issues with the woodenware or just with the assembly process?

Keith: I would sure second that ML has had some serious issues with their assembly but I don't have an issue with the quality of the unassembled frames I have seen. I do, however slightly prefer the style of the Dadant/Western frames. Dadant has been extremely good in their delivery prices in LTL shipments direct from Polson. They dropped me off 12 pallets of woodenware for around $300 dollars a year ago.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim, that year stills sticks with me, it's the gifts that keeps giving. lol

Yeah know Jim, I see "Honey 4 all" post #22 about Dadants frames in Chico.... funny thing he's lives about 10 minutes from ML in woodland, he's drives right by ML to go to Dandants.

Quote Originally Posted by DonShackelford View Post
    Keith; Were there issues with the woodenware or just with the assembly process?
    Don, look up here in the arcives (sp) I posted pics of the boxes, I had bloodied hands trying to put that junk together. This was a couple years ago, I will NEVER buy there woodenware again.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Don, look up here in the arcives (sp) I posted pics of the boxes, I had bloodied hands trying to put that junk together. This was a couple years ago, I will NEVER buy there woodenware again.
    Like a lot of threads this one is deveating from the original question but the flavor is part of an overall evaluation of not only their products but also how they handle their customers issues regarding quality.

I, like Keith, had a problem with the pre-assembled frames from both ML and Dadant. With ML the issue I observed was a very poor job of applying little or no glue. I did not see the issue of staple alignment as mentioned by keith. The glue job on the Dadant frames was a little better but the fact they use a short staple on the top down shot just put a weak link in an already poorly made chain.

Because of the lack of appropriate response both Keith and I have received regarding the quality of the product we both agree that forgoing any more purchases of such is a wise idea. This is especially true of ML whose basic premise was " live with it" which IS NOT HAPPENING with my money.

A while back I posted questions about frame assembly. The new ones we are putting together cost about 33-35 cents each for the labor assembly just to put the wood together. That's NO glue, staples included.

My biggest issue is the way wood frames seem to de-laminate in one place or another over their course of life in the hive. To keep them together we are using Tite Bond 3 at the wood joints. To keep the foundation in place while giving unequaled stability to the whole frame we are placing a bead of elastomeric / polyurethane in the groves before the pop-in foundation goes in. This adds about 50 cents a frame to the overall cost but they are coming out as stiff and as durable as the 100% plastic frames on the longitudinal edge while giving us the durability of the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by DonShackelford View Post
    Keith; Were there issues with the woodenware
    Don, we wax dip ALL our woodenware, here is a pic of ML boxes stacked up up side down to dry, notice the nice fit.
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_1902.jpg
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_1905.jpg

Don, here is a pic of Daves boxes in OR. Dave has NICE BOXES.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_0806.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Don, we wax dip ALL our woodenware, here is a pic of ML boxes stacked up up side down to dry, notice the nice fit.
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_1902.jpg
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/100_1905.jpg
    Yikes! Was that stuff commercial grade?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim, they called it commercial grade, I called it JUNK.

That's awful looking woodenware. I sure hope they have improved the quality of there products. I wouldn't have been happy either if I would have purchased something like that

Are the or. boxes from Shastina?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Are the or. boxes from Shastina?
    As Far as I know Keith is getting them from Shastina.

We have another 500 plus being delivered from there tomorrow.

Their cuts are superb. A plus .... the wood is a B+ in my opinion cause of the knots. Easy to assemble and very few "busts" while assembling.

The product speaks for itself which is a GIGANTIC difference from when they purchased the old John Miller facility.

They have improved the quality from an D- up to top grade over the years. Great to work with. Call you back and if you want a little custom stuff they are willing to give it a shot.

Am waiting with baited breath for when their frame production comes on line. I for one am willing to give them a shot once they are...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    boxes from Shastina?
    Red, Yes, Dave & Pat from Shastina have the nicest boxes, outstanding quality! They are the only folks that I get them from now. Bought a couple thousand last month from them guys, Dave asked me... you wan't to know the price... I said no....I wan't the same quality as the last shipment of boxes that you sent. Well I got the boxes, once again, outstanding quality, those guys even take a dis-sander to the corners.

P.S. did I mention Shastina & quality two of the same.

I live an hour away from them. All my boxes are from them and they do have good quality. They are supposed to be making completed frames soon and i'm looking forward to see them. It's nice to be able to call in an order and then go pick it up also.

Lucky dog.

I ordered a bunch of commercial deep (20), medium (25) boxes and frames for all of them from ML. I have had no issue with the frames. I order the split bottom frames as I have noticed that foundation is a little long and the split bottom doesn't require me to cut all the foundation down.

The boxes on the other hand had a few pieces that had huge knots or cracked the length of the board. I called ML and explained my issues and they replaced ever board I had issues with at there expense.

I am a customer service driven person. I will pay more for something for the service, but I am also not buying things in the huge quantity that the commercial guys are.

To answer some of the questions here: first - Dadant frames are ponderosa pine, not the other way around. None come from Argentina, New Zealand or are made of punkier white pine.

Second - Dadants bottom bar is 1/2" thick. Western Bee made this the new standard in 2007 (we'd been making 1/2 bottom bars as a custom order product for 25 years), and soon thereafter our competitors all followed suit and made it their standard as well. We didn't have a frame assembly machine at the time - so that had nothing to do with this change. A thicker bottom bar reduces blow-outs in the extracting process.

Our top bar is a FULL 3/4" thick compared to the thinner top bar of our competitor. What does this full 3/4" do for you? It allows you to run a staple through the end bar into the top bar. Why is this important to you? It reduces blow-outs in the extracting process and if you've had bees long enough and haven't put that staple in, at some point you've seen the top bar pull out of the end bar as you're trying to pull a frame out of a hive.

Western Bee now produces assembled frames. It's a great thing from my end for one reason: when there's a QC problem, we catch it right now - if something's not fitting together as it should, our people on that assembly machine catch it right now and we shut down whatever we need to shut down right now and get that problem straightened out.

Then there's the so-called free shipping. You are the consumer - you can do what you want. I would encourage you to take a little extra time and do some comparing - just as an example, I compared final delivered cost of different quantities of hive bodies to various places west of the Mississippi and found my prices with shipping were better than the "free shipping" program offered elsewhere. So is it really free shipping? It's your call - feel free to call/email me if you want to make a comparison.

Thanks,

Rick Molenda, Gen. Mgr.
    Western Bee

There ya go folks, right from the "horses mouth". I won't disagree with any of it. I like to price around and always seem to come back to Dadant/Western. Their prices are always competitive and we have never had an issue with quality. I am not going to chase a few bucks of savings down somewhere else and not be sure of what I will end up with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast