Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Inspection observaton for Florida

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mbeck 
#1 ·
In almost every hive I have inspected from Marion County north to the Georgia border there are signs of swarm preparation. Don't be afraid to check when the weather is even close to good. You may be surprised how much pollen and honey they are bringing in or have brought in recently also. The drone pupa we pulled had minimal mites too.

#2 ·
I'm pretty far south from you and checked almost all my hives in the last 10 days--yes plenty of pollen and new nectar but not nearly the brood amount I expected. Most my hives are a deep and medium, and only the middle frames have brood. A few more than others but nowhere near what I expected to see with our weather and minor flow going on.
Are my queens getting old? What are others in south Fla experiencing?

#5 ·
Santa Rosa county also has plenty of pollen and nectar coming in.The Red Maples are in full bloom here.I also seem to have a very small mite load this spring.I put grease patties on last week and counted the mites.There was almost no mites drop.I need to do a sugar roll to be sure.Treatment last fall was with Hopguard.I am a believer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.