Hybrid View

Default Storms in Kentucky

January Storm Hive Damage.jpg

Lots of storms last night in Kentucky. One of my yards had several tops blown off and one single deep hive blown over. Those tops are so heavy, I had never had them blow off before. Three of them had the jar feeder holes that were open for ventilation. They likely got a lot of rain inside. Temps tonight forcasted to be in the low 20's. Hopefully they will be O.K.

cchoganjr

Default Re: Storms in Kentucky

I just went out and put an extra brick on some of my hives as we are supposed to start getting strong winds tonight as the cold front comes in. A cover blown off in warm weather isn't bad, but one blown off in the 20's is a whole different thing. John

jmgi.. Yea, I should have put a weight on them, but, those tops are so heavy I had never had a problem before. I always put a weight on the fiberglass tops as they are prone to blow off, but, not these tops.

Sure hate to see stuff like that Cleo, hope you can get it straightened out with minimal damage. The same line of storms you got came threw here as well. I hope my hives are all in tact I'm planning on checking them in the morning, I've got cinder blocks on most of mine with bricks on a few. You always think its overkill till the bad stuff happens.
    Major

That's a bummer Cleo. Will you leave the upside down one until better weather or have you uprighted it already?
    Whenever I see bad weather, really bad like you experienced and what happened in Georgia (today?) with that huge tornado, I wonder how the beehives of the bee source members here are doing. And that horrible cold spell up north, yikes.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Cleo, I have several very heavy tops pretty much just like yours, and I've had them blow off before, but this is WY, not KY! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope the bees will be okay.

There seems to be a lack of snow there . Is it made up for in rain, or are you short of moisture there like we are out here?