Hybrid View

Default should i use all mediums or deeps and mediums ?

what our the pros versus cons with running all mediums and/or 8 versus 10 frame bodies ? this will be my second year and i will be getting 6-8 nucs this season. im planning on having a few tbh's as well but, since i need to buy a bunch of new hive bodies,frames etc...im curious if i should go with all mediums with my langstroths. any views would be awesome.

Default Re: should i use all mediums or deeps and mediums ?

I run all mediums and like everyone says they are lighter. If you are a backyard beekeeper I would recommend it especially if you are over 40. If you plan on making money at it then I would probably go with deeps and mediums like the commercial guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    If you plan on making money at it then I would probably go with deeps and mediums like the commercial guys do.
    Now that does not sound like much of a recommendation for going all mediums!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

If you plan on selling nucs, most of the market wants deeps.

If you are planning on using purchased nucs much to expand your apiary, most of the market is selling nucs, and you may have a challenge finding good medium nucs when you find them.

Mediums are lighter, and it is nice to have only one depth of box and frame to deal with.

However, to get the same comb area, you'll have to buy considerably more frames/foundation and an extra box or two per hive.

That's not a big deal if you only plan on having a few colonies, but if you want have many, the expense of the extra equipment might be an important consideration.

When you start your "bee trip", which vehicle (meds/deeps) is best depends on where you want to get to, and how you want to get there.

And that, my friend, no one else can tell you!

I have two deeps on bottom, because I don't pick them up that much and for here, I think that's enough to get them through the winter. I have mediums for supers because they're lighter and get picked up more often. (but if my back keeps going the way it is, I may go to shallow supers.) Also, it's a reminder not to medicate if there's mediums on (because that's where the honey is). But, there are pluses to having all interchangeable equipment, too.

You'll no doubt get lots of opinions. Just take the best of the bunch and figure out what's best for you.

Good luck!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    I have two deeps on bottom, because I don't pick them up that much and for here, I think that's enough to get them through the winter. I have mediums for supers because they're lighter and get picked up more often. (but if my back keeps going the way it is, I may go to shallow supers.) Also, it's a reminder not to medicate if there's mediums on (because that's where the honey is). But, there are pluses to having all interchangeable equipment, too.

You'll no doubt get lots of opinions. Just take the best of the bunch and figure out what's best for you.

Good luck!
    SM's got some good thoughts. I run deeps for brood, and meds for honey.

See the current thread "how to move from deeps to mediums". When you first start out it would make more sense to run all mediums. If you change your mind you can just convert the medium brood comb to honey comb supers and add deep brood chambers.

On the other hand you cannot as easily switch to mediums from deeps. Not nearly as hard as putting toothpaste back in the tube, but still a lot more complicated than just adding a second size.

I run all mediums. Three mediums for brood and the bees, everything above the third box is honey. I do not use excluders

>what would you say are the downsides of going all mediums ?

The only downside is cost. The upsides are many. Better wintering in eight frame mediums as the cluster usually spans two boxes. Lighter boxes. Uniform frame size.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Better wintering in eight frame mediums as the cluster usually spans two boxes.
    I don't understand your reasoning here. What is better about spanning two boxes versus one large box?
    Regards, Barry

>I don't understand your reasoning here. What is better about spanning two boxes versus one large box?

Combs make walls between parts of the cluster. Bees cluster int he "aisles". When they are on large combs and a sudden cold snap causes the cluster to contract, bees often get trapped on the outside edge because they can't leave the cluster and climb all the way around the comb to get to the next "aisle". When the cluster spans two boxes there is a gap through the middle of the cluster allowing them to move from one comb to the next without leaving the cluster.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

But on larger comb, there is more honey available closer to them (without the void/gap). Has there been any study that tested the two? I can see a benefit in each, but not sure in reality one is any better than the other.
    Regards, Barry