Thread: Empty hive

Default Empty hive

Today I found my hive completely empty. The top 2 medium supers are full of capped honey. Can I extract this honey and reuse the frames? I will likely get new frames for the brood chamber. thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Empty hive

Yes you can.

Yes. Have you any clue as to what happened to the bees?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Yes. Have you any clue as to what happened to the bees?
    A few possible theories: 1) not enough space in the hive (was going to get into the hive this weekend and get ready for the warm weather); 2) lots of ants; 3) AFB. the more I look at photos online of AFB I think that's what happened. Just 3 days ago I took a look inside and queen had started laying brood above the bottom deep super, so I thought everything was OK.

what an awful feeling to lose the whole hive after they seemed to have survived the winter. this is my first year as a beekeeper and I thought I got through the first year.

My guess would be a heavy mite load caused them to abscond. Just curious if you did any treatment or checked the mite drop in the fall?

I had two hives that succumbed to mites, one absconded and one died out. I thought it might have been AFB due to pictures I seen in books and on the Internet, but the ropy test showed otherwise.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I was pretty good about regular mite checks and doing powdered sugar application when the count was higher than it should be. But you're right- the pictures of varroa and AFB look really similar.

How many bees were in the hive 3 days ago? If she was laying and population looked healthy, why would you suspect AFB and did you ever monitor for mites?