Default Ultimate Hive Cover and 8 frame setups

I tried out the Ultimate Hive Cover last year and was really pleased with it. I loved it! But want to move to 8 frame equipment, and the UHC is only made for 10.

Has anyone made an adaptor to fit UHC's onto 8 frame equipment...should not be too difficult? A little collar that fits around the outside of the top box, and gives the cover a 10 frame size lip to rest on?

If anyone has plans, I would appreciate them.

Regards,
    Janet

Default Re: Ultimate Hive Cover and 8 frame setups

You might try the Country Rubes adapter, link below. It was designed to put 8 frame boxes on a 10 frame bottom board. I see no reason why you could not turn it upside down and use it on top.

store.countryrubes.com/8-framehiveadaptor.aspx
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Mike, I bow to your superior brilliance! I was planning to get some of those adaptors because I use the gorgeous Country Rubes bottom board setup. Never thought of flipping them and using them to fit the roof. May have to epoxy the adaptor to the roof to stabilize things, but should work. I will report back on my findings!

Thanks again.

Since I am limited to 5 hives I decided to use their bottom boards, boxes, etc. Janet is absolutly fantasic to work with and I really like their wax dip process. I have a pending order waiting for my tax return, already filed. 20 med boxes, 2 more bottom boards, and 6 of their new metal Freeman SHB oil trays. Shipping of completed items was a a big ouch, but still cheeper than making/filling a wax dip tank...
    By the way I would attach with 2 1" dry wall screws so the modification can be undone easily (pre drill holes so you do not split the wood).
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I have a UHC on my 10-frame hive, too, and I like it, too. But like you, I'm going to 8-frame. I am going to send them an email. Perhaps if everyone that would like an 8-frame UHC would email them, maybe they'd consider making them.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    I have a UHC on my 10-frame hive, too, and I like it, too. But like you, I'm going to 8-frame. I am going to send them an email. Perhaps if everyone that would like an 8-frame UHC would email them, maybe they'd consider making them.
    I sent them an email, and they have good response time! It's just not the answer I wanted to hear

Here's what they said in their reply to my email:

Hi Greg,

Sorry, we don’t have 8 frame hive covers. I will pass along your suggestion.

Thanks and have a nice day.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/