Default First flying day of season!

Yesterday was the first day we've had in literally months where it was warm enough to fly, and the girls were out in force taking cleansing flights. The snow all around the house is now spotted yellow, heavily in some places. It was kind of fun explaining to the wife and kids what was going on.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Default Re: First flying day of season!

Same here in Reno. Which surprised me. typically I would expect sporadic days of flying all the way up to this date with the confining cold just setting in. But it has been bitter cold here since November. The bees have been able to fly for the last three days. I am wondering if there is any brood production goign on. it woudl probably not be a good thing becasue I know we still have cold snaps coming. I did get my bees local from a long time beekeeper hopefully they are acclimatize. we can have wicked late winter weather. 60 one day followed by a week below 30.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

46 more days until spring and the gofer finally saw his shadow.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    ... the gofer finally saw his shadow.
    "Gofer", perhaps you meant gopher? Unfortunately, the creature that is alleged to predict spring is a groundhog ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,1127796.story
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Graham -

In NY, they spell gopher, gofer. They use the 'fonetic' spelling. Believe it or not, spring arrival is based off their neighboring state, NJ. If the floor is clean, spring comes early!

https://www.facebook.com/GoferParts
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I am wondering if there is any brood production goign on. it woudl probably not be a good thing becasue I know we still have cold snaps coming. I did get my bees local from a long time beekeeper hopefully they are acclimatize.
    We're looking at a general warming trend for the next week, highs in the mid-30s, lows in the low 20s. Hopefully that's enough to keep them from brood laying. I did pop the top cover briefly. I couldn't see the cluster, but they've not even entered the top super yet. Provided there's enough bees to keep the cluster going, things are looking pretty good.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Splatt, with this warmer weather we've had for the past couple of days I've been waiting to see them fly.
    Nothing today, still too cold where I am I guess. I gave a listen to the hives and could tell that they broke
    cluster. I could see them peeking their noses through the crack between the top cover and the super.
    When I tapped on the hive they gave me a loud growl which is always a good sign.
    There is a tree in my yard that starts sending pollen around February to early march. The buds are
    starting to swell which is exciting! (I think it is a maple tree, not sure though). I know spring is still a
    ways off still, but I am looking for the signs. I'm definitely ready for spring!