Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

question on glue for langstroth bodies

8K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
it appears i have used the wrong type of glue, elmers interior, for putting langstroth bodies together. what problems may that cause?

#10 ·
Prior to WWII the only option for glue was hide glue, and it's useless when it gets wet. Cross nail and all will be well -- if you are a belt and suspenders type, use drywall screws instead (but pre-drill!).

Titebond III is the best, but any glue that does not melt when wet will work (meaning carpenter's glue). Only thing that would be a real problem is white glue. I use that to glue wine bottle labels on since they come off after a couple minutes in hot water.

Peter

#13 ·
Have used Elmers carpenter glue ( interior) on all my boxes well painted and never had a box come apart in 12 years also have some boxes I never glued and they haven't come apart in 12 years. Had some glued frames left out in the rain and they did come apart. Use what ya got.

#19 ·
I've used tome titebolnd II, titebond III, and gorilla glue. None of mine have any time outside in the weather yet, but as far as glues go, I don't care for how runny the Titebond III is. the II was easier to work with.

My overall preference is for the gorilla glue. I like the expansive nature of it.

#20 ·
i never know what to use soo i shoot a staple in each finger joint as well as a brad nail. all on both sides. i also use elmers and titebond II and III. then i finish up the corners with that drywall cornering metal which is screwed in with redhead coated screws. i cant seem to keep bees but man those boxes are rock solid !!!!!!!!!!!

#25 ·
yeah it seems that it may be less expensive now. we were lumber shopping yesterday and i about wanted leave the place crying. the weight thing may be a serious issue though. im in my second and a half year ... first serious year and have some nucs coming. ive built few TBH's and am going with some langs as well. the price for solid board is crazy. we live in a very rural area soo the rices at our local woods is just ridiculous. we went into wichita to buy good woodshop equipment and went into lowes,h.depot and menards and its just crazy.

where do all of you guys shop for lumber ? what type of place can u get the good prices ?

#26 ·
Save some $$ and use Titebond II instead of Titebond III. In titebond's own testing the difference had something to do with how long the pieces would stay together while boiling. ???? Personally I don't boil my hivebodies. I guess if you are doing the wax dipping that's a different story ,but for painted boxes why bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.