Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: question on glue for langstroth bodies

basically what im saying saying dont worry soo much about it. love what ur doing and thanks again for adding to the population of bes (us titebond II or III though)

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    i cant seem to keep bees but man those boxes are rock solid !!!!!!!!!!!
    Just buy more bee's for those solid boxes. Cant let all that work go to waste.

hahaha i was just bein a dork :P
    has any of you used plywood for heve bodies or supers ? any thoughts on doing so ?

>has any of you used plywood for heve bodies or supers ? any thoughts on doing so ?

It used to be more expensive (may not be true anymore). It's heavier. I don't think it lasts as well. I used it when I had free scraps available. It makes nice lids and bottoms...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >has any of you used plywood for heve bodies or supers ? any thoughts on doing so ?

It used to be more expensive (may not be true anymore). It's heavier. I don't think it lasts as well. I used it when I had free scraps available. It makes nice lids and bottoms...
    yeah it seems that it may be less expensive now. we were lumber shopping yesterday and i about wanted leave the place crying. the weight thing may be a serious issue though. im in my second and a half year ... first serious year and have some nucs coming. ive built few TBH's and am going with some langs as well. the price for solid board is crazy. we live in a very rural area soo the rices at our local woods is just ridiculous. we went into wichita to buy good woodshop equipment and went into lowes,h.depot and menards and its just crazy.

where do all of you guys shop for lumber ? what type of place can u get the good prices ?

Save some $$ and use Titebond II instead of Titebond III. In titebond's own testing the difference had something to do with how long the pieces would stay together while boiling. ???? Personally I don't boil my hivebodies. I guess if you are doing the wax dipping that's a different story ,but for painted boxes why bother.

Mostly I buy knocked down hives and bottom boards. Mostly I build my own covers out of 1/2" CDX. The best place to shop for lumber for hives, is the dumpster at the local construction site... with their permission of course.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF