Thread: Breed

Default Breed

What type of breed is calm and can fight varroa and also is a good producer of honey. I am new to this and am going to order 10 packages of bees next week. I have 6 hives but am not sure what breed they are. Thanks

Default Re: Breed

You looking for a super bee?

From what I have read Russians are great with dealing with varroa. They tend to groom themselves more and remove the mites more often then most bees. Apparently an untreated russian hive is said to have the same amount of mites as an Itialian hive that has been treated for mites. A screened bottom board will help with mites as well due to the fact they fall through and aren't able to get back into the hive. I only know one individual who has raised Russians, he thought the temperament of the bees were a bit aggresive, but it was his first go at beekeeping so he really didn't have a lot to base that opinion on. There can be "mean" bees in any breed, and usually if they are out of hand, switching the queen can help a lot. Honey production is a topic I am not sure of with this breed.

There are many bee keepers in Utah you might ask advice from. As a new beekeeper, I would recommend going with Italians. Gentler bees will give you a much better beginning experience. They produce honey well and you can always treat for mites.

The best I have come accress is the VSH Italians. Very gentle, low mite counts, and mine averaged at 75 lb of honey per year.

I've had pollinator queen for 3 years. Have not treated once for mites. Last year I pulled 3 nucs from her and she still produced 150lbs of honey.

The breed of bees that you choose needs to suit your local conditions. I have Russians, Carnolians, Bee Weaver Bees from Texas, and good commercial bees from Vermont. I am still evaluating the Bee Weaver bees for their ability to thrive in my area without Mite treatments. The Russians in my experience are better able to cope with the mites than your every day bee but they still need some assistance. The Carniolians and the bees from Vermont require regular treatment for mites. Unless you are very lucky, you will not find a bee that requires no mite treatments in your area.

If you are looking for calm bees I'd stay away from bees produced in Africanized areas.
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 01-30-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by ginnboy View Post
    I've had pollinator queen for 3 years.
    What's a pollinator queen? I've never heard of them. I'd be interested to try some.

They are a breed sold by russel apiaries.

Does anyone else have experience with the Pollinator queens?

I bought four Russell apiaries Nebraska, the Sunkist, last year and have had good luck with them Very easy to work, lay vigorously and a good honey crop. You have to cope with Mites with any breed, strain or what have you.

Africans
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Yes, I have. I bought 2 hives from a left over almond farmer/beekeeper. My guess would be that the bee farmers forgot to pick up a pallet of almond pollination bee hive. And the almond farmer not know what to do after the season is over. So I got a good stock. The hive is 50% hygenic worker bees and a carniolan queen bee. They would clean out the hive very well and even a small particle they would dragged them out the hive. Very low mite count in the summer time going into fall then winter. Honey production is excellent too. I got 21 small jars of honey from 4 frames and then the ants got this hive. They would forage early and got back in the dark barely seeing things. I got my miner's light on late after the sunset. Maybe this is how they are programmed I guess. Oh yes, they are aggressive bees too chasing me into and out of my truck. I got the vid to prove that. But once population went down in the winter time they are very gentle bees.
    The Italian worker bees I got now not hygenic at all with food particles littered all over the bottom of the hive. Did a hive check today and not like what I see already. They're asking for wax moth trouble later on. Maybe this is how they are programmed. I miss my hygenic bees already. Too bad I don't know how to take care of this 2 hives and lost both queens. Do I still have a bee hive after requeen? Guess I don't know the value until it is too late. But I will learn really fast next time. Going to requeen the existing hive with VSH queens when I get the hang of beekeeping more. For now let's play with the Italians for a while.

When I got the message, it is too late. So, I think, already You have got your lesson.
    Hi all..I am Emdad.