Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Drawing new comb in honey supers

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  tommyt 
#1 ·
I need to draw quite a bit of new comb (medium honey supers) this year. I am using ritecell foundation from Mann Lake w/wood frames. I run 9 frames in a 10 frame box once drawn. My question is....do I need to use 10 frames until its drawn? Is it possible to get good comb drawn by using 9 frames and just put frames of foundation between frames w/drawn comb? I dont really want to chance it unless some of you experienced beeks say it will work!

Hartz

#3 ·
9 frames will work just fine if you want to stretch your your comb. We typically mix them in with drawn comb either in slots 2 4 6 8 or else in 3 5 and 7 I just wouldn't recommend foundation on the outside frames. If there is a heavy flow you can get by with pretty much anything.

#5 ·
.do I need to use 10 frames until its drawn? Is it possible to get good comb drawn by using 9 frames and just put frames of foundation between frames w/drawn comb?
Thats what I do, I will take two drawn frames out of a 9 frame box, near the middle, and replace them with two foundation. Snug the frame besides the foundation tight and space the rest accordingly
you will get nice drawn foundation and your comb will be filled out fat. Otherwise if you squeeze 10 frames into that box, your going to be scraping all those after they miss the uncapper knife

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.