Default Top entrance only

I run one deep and a medium for brood with a honey super of stores for the winter.With the honey stored in the brood boxes and the super of honey I haven't had to feed. I built four of the top entrance covers, as described in many post here, and installed them last fall. It didn't take long for the bees to orient. The problem is that in these hives the queen moved her brood nest into the two top mediums and they have vacated the deep. Not a big problem except the deeps are now honey supers and I assume as I add honey supers in the spring she will continue to move up. Anyone experience this and what did you do ?

Default Re: Top entrance only

"Brood-rearing temperature control can be accomplished only if the brood is reared in a compact area. Thus, in its evolution, a natural separation of the food and brood developed. In the modern hive, the entrance is usually at the bottom of the nest; the food is stored above and the brood below. This is not always true in nature, and one will find bee trees where the primary nest entrance is at the middle or above the brood rearing and food storing areas. In such cases the food may be stored below the brood. However, there has been no research to determine how common this occurs."

MORSE, R. A. (1975) Bees and Beekeeping

This recent thread may have some helpful info: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...694#post890694

There are two tendencies at work here. One is that the bees want to store honey over the brood nest. The other is that they tend to put the brood nest near the entrance. Since the two are kind of contrary, they end up doing, as they do in a tree, moving the brood nest up and down as the seasons change. They push the brood back down when the flow comes in and they start putting honey at the top and pushing the queen back down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks guys, If I understand what I read and your responses, I have nothing to be concerned about at this time of year. I had a problem last fall with having too much empty comb and moths laying in it. As they moved the brood nest into the second and third super it vacated the bottom box and no bees there to keep the moths at bay they made themselves at home. That is their condition now, the bottom box is empty of brood, two or three frames of honey and very few bees tending it.

Can I build a honey cap, by filling the third box with capped honey and replacing it with drawn comb from last season ? This would allow the Queen to expand laterally in the second box and hopefully move down into the brood box when the honey flow starts. Am I on the right track here ?