Default Jar feeders on mating nucs

Ive noticed in photos that some beekeepers use jar feeders on top of mating nucs. Do they just cut a hole in the cover so the jar top fits snug ? I would think some rain can leak in. It looks like an easy way to feed until they are transfered into a hive.

Default Re: Jar feeders on mating nucs

I cut a one inch hole so the jar fits over the feeder cover and does not leak due to the overlap. Think about it. The rain runs straight down the side of a jar into the hive with a perfect size hole. With an undersized hole it has an easier path away from the jar.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hhhmmmmm.I have to disagree.If you cut the hole to exactly fit the jar lid then the slight rim on the lid makes a good seal.The hole must be a tight fit.There is also no way for these to be tipped over.

I use a 2&3/4 size hole saw to make my top feeder holes. This is the same size as a regular mouth jar, they fit snug and because of using the hole saw it is perfectly round not like a free hand cut. They don't leak very bad if there is any gap the bees propolize it. The feeder needs to be near the front or the back of the nuc so that you don't have syrup dripping on the middle cluster. Another trick I have found is that I staple a piece of number 8 hardware cloth under the feeder hole, I didn't in the beginning and I found that the bees glue the feeder to the top bars.
    Major

AmBeekeeper,
    Where do you get the 1 inch plugs?
    Cargill??? (I think that's the company) has them but they cost a small fortune unless you buy 1000's.
    You'd think a 1 inch plug would be easy to find its not!!

Duct tape fixes all...
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I use burr comb or leave them open

2 7/8 inch hole saw here. They propolis it up and I don't have any problems with them leaking. In the winter I put the hole that I cut out back in the hole in the lid, smash all the nucs together, and put a piece of styrofoam on top of them. They winter fine.

Make inner covers,drill tight hole the size of jar ring. I always offset to make room for pollen patty. Set empty super over top. Then put lid on. This also keeps sun from overheating feed on warm days.

I use plastic water bottles for feeding both nucs and mating nucs. I drill a hole just big enough for the plastic cap to drop into. The plastic cap gets 3 small holes for access to the feed. The bottles are free. When I go into the yard I pull the empty bottle and replace with a full one (they get filled at home). You can also use any size bottle you prefer. If I don't want a bottle on the hive I put a cap in the hole to plug it up. No leaks and easy as can be.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I use a 2 7/8" hole as well, also screened.

Despite the heavier-than-any-thunderstorm-I-ever-saw rain that aqccompanied the tornado that went right past the yard last July, I've had no rain leakage issues.

I also offset the feeder to one end.

If your feeding mateing nucs you dont want to feed real fast.I use a half lb jar with a metal lid.Drill a 1eight hole insert 1inch piece of 1 eight copper tube solder in place .Drill 1 eight hole in lid and put in.This is the way I have done for years Many of the old timers used this.

Beenut, can you post a photo?

will try friday you just drill a hole in the metal of the jar what every size jar you want to use stick the 1 eight copper tube in it and solder .The length of the copper depends on the thickness of your nuc lid .The copper should extend about 1 eight past your nuc lid inside the box,the other end of the copper about 1/4 inch inside jar.You wont have robbing using this The copper can be purchased at auto parts place

I just use a hole in the back of the lid which is 1 1/2 inches then put on a metal cover to use when not feeding. For feeding I use a quart mason Jar either regular or wide mouth and drill 3 small holes in center and make them form a triangle then I place the jar over the hole and the bees can come up to get feed and when it rains no rain water enters the hive since the bees will seal around the jar lid and hole happens quick. Then I can monitor the feeders and replace them as needed.