Default Urban Farming: Where knowledge Grows on Trees

This summer I met a talented young photo journalist from Germany. He had won a major (and prestigious) international college photography award....one of the prizes was a year internship at National Geographic.

I brought him up to The Lenox Hotel roof during the day...and he wanted to go back up after dark. Apparently, one of the night time photos ended up in this project...which won him a 10,000 Euro prize!

https://translate.google.com/transla...s/&prev=search
    “Siri, tell Amazon to drone me a beer.” -Homer Simpson

Default Re: Urban Farming: Where knowledge Grows on Trees

Very Cool! Thanks for the link. It is a great concept for people to grow vegetables and "small" animals such as chickens or bees in the back yards or even rooftops. I grew up in a suburb doing just that!
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

I don't know the context of the entire piece. I did have some interesting conversations with the photographer...he had been traveling through several countries looking at urban farming...and what he found (and what I see) was there was no real economically viable way to 'go off the grid' food wise in the city...land is too valuable.

We talked about the symbolic value of growing a few tomatoes, the ritualistic value of consuming food that one has produced in one's own environment, the educational value to learn (and appreciate) what it takes to produce real food, and (in the case of the bees) the appreciation of the essential 'wildness of nature' in the city.
    “Siri, tell Amazon to drone me a beer.” -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    We talked about the symbolic value of growing a few tomatoes, the ritualistic value of consuming food that one has produced in one's own environment, the educational value to learn (and appreciate) what it takes to produce real food, and (in the case of the bees) the appreciation of the essential 'wildness of nature' in the city.
    I think this is key! When we interact with non-beekeepers many simply want to learn about what we do as beekeepers and what they can do to help. By understanding and appreciating, we all benefit...
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com