Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cleats on Migratory Covers

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
What are the advantages and disadvantages of cleats on top of migratory versus underside at hive front and back?

#3 ·
Can you explain more of what you are talking about. Do you mean clips under the lid? Mine have 1x2's on the front and back so it can only slide side to side. When they are on the truck they are all packed in side by side so they are fine.

Mine are 1/2 ply with 3/8 rips surrounding the bottom to get bee space with 1x2 on the ends front and back.

#5 ·
I think you will want them underside the frount and back just to help keep the tops positioned properly
I have cleats on top to help keep my 1*4`s in place.
So then I started building my tops out of 3/4 plywood, still have the cleats on top, why , just because thats the way I started

#6 ·
So then I started building my tops out of 3/4 plywood, still have the cleats on top, why , just because thats the way I started
Ian, how much problem do you have with warping using plywood? I just made eight covers outs of 5/8ths plywood and put cleats on the top of each end and put two coats of paint on them. They look good, just hope they don't turn into a skate board half pipe!! I also have pavers on them.

#8 ·
when using 3/4 inch plywood there is not alot of movement, but I cut my tops with so that my long grains are along the long side of the box. and the cleats will help prevent the curling the other way. I cut some waste pieces of plywood with the grain running the other way and did have some tops curl up wards on me, but they straightened out after a winter stacked in under 5 pallets of bees in the winter shed.

I do not have my bottom board runners positioned to inter lock with the top cleat, perhaps I should of thougt of that when I started buildign them. Great idea, should of gone onto beesource before I started LOL

#14 ·
Matt sent me some photos. I haven't been able to work out to post photos here either. I have a photobucket account, leave my settings on "public", and then cut and paste a link to the photo I want to show. The viewer then has the option to browse all your other public photos if they want to. Every time I take a photo with my cell phone it also automatically uploads to my photobucket account where I can manage into my "public library" or "private album". I haven't worked out how to upload other folk's photos into my photobucket yet, I'll take a look. mgoldnen, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, Regards, Adrian.

#18 ·
They seem to work well they are easy to make and durable.

If I had a complain it's that they sometimes burr comb or propolize them until they settle in.

As a build new ones I put them on hives here at the house in case they need a brick on them.
After that they stay flat.

#19 ·
When I went to my current style of cover my intent was to have hives I could put up against each other. I was afraid they might not stay on as well, but the result, surprisingly, was that the covers blew off less because they didn't catch the wind as much.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.