Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Really American Bee Journal?????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Marc, you have some good ideas, but since much of the knowledge of commercial people is proprietary, and their livelihood depends on them keeping it that way, don't expect to have them "spill the beans". It would be less than intelligent to do so, so anyone that does spill the beans might not have the most intelligent ideas.
    Hey Roland, I don't want to know their proprietary knowledge, I understand that they depend on keeping certain things under wraps, no issue with that. But for a hobbyist like myself I thought it might be interesting to write an article about some of the bigger guys, how many hives they manage, what got them to make the jump from a few hives to full-time, things they struggle with, what it takes to run an operation like that, you know? Stuff that would be entertaining to read, and maybe make me want to or deter me from pursuing more hives... lol

I don't know, I don't want to come across as bashing the journal, it does provide good info, and like Jim said, I am always excited to find it in my mailbox, I just wish they would keep their finger a little more on the pulse. I realize they are two very different mediums, but when I want to learn about something or have a question I come here to the bee forum, not so much to the magazine.

I have this habit of taking out articles and saving them because they had a really good idea, or addressed a challenge I also faced, or simply because it was well written and thought provoking. Well, the last article I clipped and saved was from June 2011, everything after that was... ok, not bad, but not that exciting or new either. Last night when I read through the forum I thought it would be fairly quick and easy to get some good ideas just by looking at the threads that cover several pages. Here you have a good measure of what gets beekeepers passionate...

Anyways, enough said, probably. I'll go back now and re-read some of the articles I saved...lol
    Last edited by Marc; 01-30-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Corrected my blasted spelling...:-)

I don't really consider there is much proprietary information out there aside from the obvious how many hives are you running, where are they at and how much honey did they make. I am not even sure pollination info is all that secretive, at least with Almonds if you have the bees somebody will pay you what they are worth, other pollination may be a bit different but if you have a good working relationship with a grower and treat them well then someone else isn't going to take that away very easily. I don't mind sharing about anything else. Most of this business is just about being willing to take the risks, and do the work. Some do it well, some not so well.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Well let’s see Ian….
    1. It was cynical prior to reading the article. It was confirmation of my suspicions after I read it.

2. Should this company develop a progressive treatment option for my hives would I be in line for their product? If I have any hives left, after the devastation this company’s chemicals are having on all our bees in their quest for more sales, I am positive I will remember what caused this pandemic and choose to purchase my needed products from a company with a conscience.

3. I understand fully what R&D does and what drives it’s funding. I also thank God for all the watch groups that offer up their time and efforts in their attempts at keeping such companies honest and socially responsible for their actions.

Ian, as you know, you are free to follow your beliefs and convictions just as I am free to follow mine and I do appreciate your sharing yours.

Rick

I'm not giving up my subscriptions to bee magazines--I need that input. I'm just keeping a suspicious eye out for any movements by Jerry Hayes, Monsanto and/or Bayer!

Quote Originally Posted by RABray View Post
    , I am positive I will remember what caused this pandemic
    you mean the mite, virual infections, nosema, and the weather right?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    I'm not giving up my subscriptions to bee magazines--I need that input. I'm just keeping a suspicious eye out for any movements by Jerry Hayes, Monsanto and/or Bayer!
    +1

+2 (despite my gripes...:-))