Angry yard treatments that are bee friendly

Hello all -
    I'm unsure the correct forum to put this question on - but this seems like the best 'general' area.

Anyway, it's June here and the June bugs (also known as june beetles) are out in full force. In previous years I'd just 'spray' all my plants to keep then 'at bay' as best I could but since I've started keeping bees - I'm unsure what I can treat my plants with that isn't very distructive to my bees. I can certanly spray some of the non flowering plants with my 'normal' methods as I know the bees aren't visiting them - but what can I do, if anything for my rose bushes, apple trees, etc? Does anybody else have this issue or can anybody recommend any methods of controlling the June beetle cycle? I treat for larva in the fall - as suggested, but if I dont treat - all my leaves and flowers will be eaten up... If you live up north or any other part of the country - besides the south, you're lucky.

thanks in advance ..

mark

Default Re: yard treatments that are bee friendly

Birds toads and nematodes a can help keep June bugs in check.

I've heard that also. We have alot of frogs (maybe toads) and have bird feaders scattered accross the yards. it's too late this year for 'good control' via nematodes as they've already 'hatched' - but perhaps next year I'll be able to more proactive with them. I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some types of spray treatments that I can use as a topical treatment now ...

If you are looking for an organic method for how to kill June bugs, you can build a June bug trap. Use a jar or a bucket and place a white light at the top of the container with an inch or two of vegetable oil at the bottom of the jar or bucket. The container should be open so that the June bug can fly in towards the light. They will fall into the oil below and be unable to fly away again.

Look into neem oil i have been useing it with good luck for other pest but not sure about june bugs

I use Dawn Soap...yup, dish soap! Bugs don't have skin to repel the soap so it soaks right into their skin, killing them! You do have to spray it right onto the bugs so it can be a little more work than harsh chemicals.

I use 1 tbsp per gallon of soap in a garden sprayer and spray the plants during different times of the day, soaking them quite heavily. Once the soap dries it's nontoxic to your bees. This is why you have to reapply it as it only works on the bugs when it's wet and you do it during different times of the day to catch all the bugs that are out. It's nontoxic to the plants and just washes away with your sprinklers or a hose. I've gotten rid of some really nasty critters with this method, without harm to any of my 5 hives.

A google search will teach you much more, but that's what I'd do.