Default Having a Beer With the Old Gals.

I am coming up on 11 months as a beekeeper now. The original hive I bought last year in Mid July is finally coming around. I bought the complete hive and equipment from a guy selling out on Craigslist. I moved them to the new location in the middle of the worst drought we have had in several years. The bees were in a 2 deep Kelley hive and they were struggling. Everything was brown around here at the time and would continue that way until a hurricane in the gulf brought us rain on Labor Day. They dwindled down and the queen quit laying till the rains greened things up. They wintered and this spring I had a queen and about 1 frame of bees.

I condensed them down in a 5 frame nuc and fed them to keep them going. They built up this spring and several weeks ago I added another 5 frame deep to the nuc. They filled it out pretty good and today they graduated back to the original hive, a 2) 10 frame deep.

The nuc box had an entrance hole along with the bottom entrance. They have always preferred a higher entrance. When I changed out the hives this afternoon, they were all coming back and hitting the side of the hive, ignoring the bottom entrance. I drilled them a new hole in the top deep and some of them took to it. The rest wandered down to the bottom entrance.

I sit out watching them and had a few more beers till everything seemed back to normal.

The new hives are another story.

Default Re: Having a Beer With the Old Gals.

had a couple beers with the girls today myself.

life is good in a field of bees

enough beers and every thing is normal.
    thats the way i roll.

Couple years ago my brother had a couple beers and came over to see how my bees were doing. Got drilled twice in between the eyes, had to take a day off work.

I guess mine were tea-totalers then.

Peter

Ha Ha nice one Psfred.

I do recall in my younger days guys working bees when they had a few too many and yes, in that condition (or smell maybe) they do attract stings. Funny in hindsight!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I was told there is a esters in some beer hops that is the same as the alarm pheromone. So bees might not like some beers. Hmm sounds like a good research project. You know buy lots of beer and see if the bees like it.