Default Having a Beer With the Old Gals.

I am coming up on 11 months as a beekeeper now. The original hive I bought last year in Mid July is finally coming around. I bought the complete hive and equipment from a guy selling out on Craigslist. I moved them to the new location in the middle of the worst drought we have had in several years. The bees were in a 2 deep Kelley hive and they were struggling. Everything was brown around here at the time and would continue that way until a hurricane in the gulf brought us rain on Labor Day. They dwindled down and the queen quit laying till the rains greened things up. They wintered and this spring I had a queen and about 1 frame of bees.

I condensed them down in a 5 frame nuc and fed them to keep them going. They built up this spring and several weeks ago I added another 5 frame deep to the nuc. They filled it out pretty good and today they graduated back to the original hive, a 2) 10 frame deep.

The nuc box had an entrance hole along with the bottom entrance. They have always preferred a higher entrance. When I changed out the hives this afternoon, they were all coming back and hitting the side of the hive, ignoring the bottom entrance. I drilled them a new hole in the top deep and some of them took to it. The rest wandered down to the bottom entrance.

I sit out watching them and had a few more beers till everything seemed back to normal.

The new hives are another story.

Default Re: Having a Beer With the Old Gals.

had a couple beers with the girls today myself.

life is good in a field of bees

enough beers and every thing is normal.
    thats the way i roll.

Couple years ago my brother had a couple beers and came over to see how my bees were doing. Got drilled twice in between the eyes, had to take a day off work.

I guess mine were tea-totalers then.

Peter

Ha Ha nice one Psfred.

I do recall in my younger days guys working bees when they had a few too many and yes, in that condition (or smell maybe) they do attract stings. Funny in hindsight!

I was told there is a esters in some beer hops that is the same as the alarm pheromone. So bees might not like some beers. Hmm sounds like a good research project. You know buy lots of beer and see if the bees like it.