Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forklifts

Default Re: Forklifts

Good choices all Scotty. I like the lift gauge too. As long as you are going with the front fenders I have seen extra lights mounted out there. That might be worth considering. The trailer can get pretty spendy. The 8,000 lb torsion axle under a tilt bed is awesome. A good machine shop could probably make you one for around 5 grand. A&O gets 6500 last I checked.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    A GOOD machine shop could probably make you one for around 5 grand. A&O gets 6500 last I checked.
    There's the fly in the ointment.....an inferior one WILL cause some serious seepage into the ole BVD's. Maybe Jim gets work done for less then we can here but I'd expect closer to his 8k projection then 5k for quality. We tried one of A&O's trailers last year and it fits our needs very well...all of our other trailers were done by a company that did the municipality equipment and prices were about the same as A&O (can't remember what the total was but it was more then Jim's $6500) We prefer the single axle over the tandem.....weight, cost and DOT rules in some states. IMHO .... tilt is the only way to go and don't go on the cheap here.....you've got an expensive (and essential) piece of equipment setting up there.

My 2 cents........

I have two of A&O's and love them, I paid 6,500 for them but dont know what they are currently charging. Recently Trevor Mansell mentioned on here that he had gotten one made locally (Florida) quite similar than the A&O for around 4,000 that was at least the equal of the A&O. I just pulled that 5,000 figure out of nowhere. Whatever one chooses to do I would strongly recommend the single 8k torkflex axle.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We get ours from a guy in SD. They are built tuff with 22.5 tires I think the guy uses the front axle off of a Freightliner. I believe the last one was $7,000 and they don't break.
    Don't skimp on the trailer, it makes for long nights.

I HAD the foam filled tires in my 1K, the ride is a little rougher but you can lift allot more weight. It adds about 750lbs to the machine.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    but you can lift allot more weight. It adds about 750lbs to the machine.
    Trevor, do you feel it can lift more because the foam adds 750lbs of more counter weight ?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Yes ,and the front tires don't flatten out. But its not worth the added weight and rough ride.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    I am thinking about filling my 100 tires liquid because its a small machine... Have you ever popped a tire and have all liquid come out?
    Yes, which is why we like using Rim-Guard(beet juice byproduct) instead of the damaging and rusting abilities of calcium chloride.

I found a used tandom 12' tilt bed with 10k capacity for $1800. So have a setup that will save my back. Thanks eveeryone for your input.

I am curious as to those that do not have a load gage on your forklift, what do you do to guess the weight of your four way pallets? Do you have a 'rule of thumb' weight that you use?

Those gauges just give you a general idea how the weights are running for truck loading purposes you would never want to rely on them solely to assess the feed situation in all your hives.

So for feed purposes Jim are you still hefting the individual hives on the pallet?

Yup forklifts are no substitute for most good old fashioned beekeeping practices. There is beekeeping and there is box moving good beekeepers are skilled at both

I am wondering what you all started with as a new beekeeper planning to expand into a larger scale ? I am trying to make a decision on what to shop for, a fork lift/skid steer/ezyloader ??
    I don't have a large budget for a new hummerbee : )

Thanks

Ben

Look for older swinger loaders...

i would if there were any around me : ) i have been looking at the Kubota R420 loader.

Ben

this is one close to me. i don't know if it's a good deal or not.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ452310358

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    have been looking at the Kubota R420 loader.

Kubota loader is way to heavy.

I guess the used one might be nice around the house. But, hauling it would be tough.

For the new ones the 0% interest financing is nice, but, it is 50k or so for the Kubota loaders. I wish swinger did an in house finance plan.
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 02-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.

http://advantage-equip.com/wyoming/p...-wheel-loader/

Advantage Equipment Tractor Kubota R420 - Wheel Loader
    Kubota R420 - Wheel Loader
    Kubota R420 - Wheel Loader

Unit is in good shape

41 HP

Unit comes with Quick Attach Bucket and Pallet forks
    $18,000.00

Ben check your pm.

My swinger 1K is here! Nice machine, after running it around the place and playing with it I finally parked it in the barn and just sat there admiring it. Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

I got mine the this morning at 7am. It was a cold 2 mile drive home to the house with it. It has some spunk when I figured out that it has a throttle. The center of gravity is definitely toward the rear because it pops wheelies going up the hill empty. It also needs a rear view mirror for when you are in traffic.

Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 03-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast