Thread: Forklifts

Hybrid View

Default Forklifts

Is a 126" mast and 42" forks work well for loading your trucks 3 high with double deeps? Thinking of ordering one and am curious on how others have theirs set up. Any other options that you feel are worthwhile? I am leaning more towards the Swinger 1K. All opinions welcome!

Default Re: Forklifts

In my opinion the 12' mast is a waste of money and even a bit of a liability as it cant fit through an 8' doorway and will easily snag on overhanging tree limbs and such (the load clamp makes that situation even worse). In almost every loading scenario it is easier to lift multiple pallets since you are nowhere near the lift capacity. I have an older machine with the tall mast and the few times I have used it at the top of its height capacity I have found it is quite difficult to do it gracefully because every movement is magnified at that height. I use the 42" forks but a good case could be made for the 48" forks in many situations.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim's reply shows experience......12' is a waste and sometimes a problem. We use 42" forks as our pallets are only 44".....don't like them 48" boats. I prefer everything tight, but they both work.

Just to be clear, I was asking about weather a 10 foot mast (126") is the prefered way to go. Also are having the foam filled tires worth the cost? pros/cons? Thank you Jim for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post
    Just to be clear, I was asking about weather a 10 foot mast (126") is the prefered way to go. Also are having the foam filled tires worth the cost? pros/cons? Thank you Jim for your input.
    Yeah that is what I would prefer as opposed to the 144" tall (approximately) mast that I was referring to which is an additional cost. Sorry I wasnt clear. You will have to make the call on the foam filled tires, I dont have them but have heard good things about them, just a bit pricy in my mind but someone with a flat tire and a lot of work to do would no doubt disagree. I am not aware of any other downsides to foam filled tires other than the cost involved.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Also are having the foam filled tires worth the cost? pros/cons? Thank you Jim for your input.
    Scott, I would go with green slime in your tires, I put the stuff in my 1K tires and haven't had a tire issue since.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

i don't have the foam filled tires on my machine but heard a few guys tell me they are a lot rougher ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Scott, I would go with green slime in your tires, I put the stuff in my 1K tires and haven't had a tire issue since.
    Keith, how much green slime did you put in your tires
    thanks, James

Is a 126" mast and 42" forks work well for loading your trucks 3 high with double deeps? Thinking of ordering one and am curious on how others have theirs set up. Any other options that you feel are worthwhile? I am leaning more towards the Swinger 1K. All opinions welcome!
    Sooooooo to answer your question Scott. I would say yes, the 126" mast is plenty good enough to load a truck 3 high with double deeps. You could even set the third deep on alone if you so choose....but I wouldn't recommend doing it as it would be slow, you know, like a Turtle. Choose your options as you see fit, the major ones being the taller mast which adds $200, the clamp, $2,400 (never in the way but when it is you just take it off) ,the dampener $640 (I would strongly recommend). Those are the main options, and that's why they call them options, some want them and some don't.

Those gauges just give you a general idea how the weights are running for truck loading purposes you would never want to rely on them solely to assess the feed situation in all your hives.

So for feed purposes Jim are you still hefting the individual hives on the pallet?

Yup forklifts are no substitute for most good old fashioned beekeeping practices. There is beekeeping and there is box moving good beekeepers are skilled at both

I am wondering what you all started with as a new beekeeper planning to expand into a larger scale ? I am trying to make a decision on what to shop for, a fork lift/skid steer/ezyloader ??
    I don't have a large budget for a new hummerbee : )

Thanks

Ben

Look for older swinger loaders...