Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Paint/Stain What do you use/How long is it lasting?

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    I suspect the eco-treatment is milk paint without filler. If so, it should last quite a while. I still prefer paint, mainly because my boxes have knots!

Peter
    I believe it is some sort of iron treatment. Check out this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Wood-Treatment

Anyway, it is not a milk paint. I "painted" my top bar hive in the ECO Wood Treatment (inside and out) and it seems to be doing ok.... only 1 year old though. My hive is pine, and I found out a little too late that it is not recommended for pine, but it sure does look beautiful!

My new hive is cypress. I'll probably use the ECO treatment on it and paint it to be extra cautious.

Can you now get the ECO Wood Treatment at HD in the US?? When I bought it is was only available in stores in Canada. I had to order it online. I'd rather order it from a beekeeping supplier if I had to order more... just to support a smaller business.

Quote Originally Posted by chr157y View Post
    I believe it is some sort of iron treatment. Check out this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Wood-Treatment

Anyway, it is not a milk paint. I "painted" my top bar hive in the ECO Wood Treatment (inside and out) and it seems to be doing ok.... only 1 year old though. My hive is pine, and I found out a little too late that it is not recommended for pine, but it sure does look beautiful!

My new hive is cypress. I'll probably use the ECO treatment on it and paint it to be extra cautious.

Can you now get the ECO Wood Treatment at HD in the US?? When I bought it is was only available in stores in Canada. I had to order it online. I'd rather order it from a beekeeping supplier if I had to order more... just to support a smaller business.

You can purchase ECO Wood Treatment at Home Depot. Where did you find information that ECO Wood is not recommended for Pine products? To my knowledge painting wood products after treating with ECO reduces its effectiveness. At least that's what it says on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Cody View Post
    Where did you find information that ECO Wood is not recommended for Pine products? To my knowledge painting wood products after treating with ECO reduces its effectiveness. At least that's what it says on the box.
    From hawkeye63 on the above mention thread.

"Just ferrous sulfate or better know as iron. Iron has been proven to be a significant deterrent to white-rot fungus.
    You can make your own by crushing 20 iron tablets into a quart of water, or buy food grade ferrous sulfate its what is in the vitamins.
    The reason the wood turns is because the iron reacts with the tannin in the wood. That is why it does not work on pine very good.
    The forest service uses boric acid to help preserve wood as well, so
    I would not be surprised if a teaspoon of that would not help."

I'll have to look into what you said about after painting after using ECO.

Aside from beekeeping, I love how the ECO Wood Protect patinas the wood instantly. I used it on a piece of cedar, and the results were stunning! I plan on using it for indoor furniture this summer, just because I love the look of it.

Thanks for the info. I have emailed the company inquiring about this issue with Pine. Been using ECO for 3 years on Pine products and this is the first I've heard about it not being recommended. Also, Boric Acid is used as an insecticide, so I don't know if there would be any complications with the bees.

I used Eco-Treatment on one of my PINE hives last spring. It's been less than a year, but so far, I am satisfied. It continues to change color.

Eco00.jpg Eco01.jpg Eco02.JPG Eco03.JPG

Exterior parts of the box will last pretty well if kept painted. Where I have a problem is with the edges. When two boxes are stacked, moisture gets in the cracks between them and over time decays the wood in that area. I've repaired a lot of 20 year old cypress equipment with this particular kind of damage over the last few days. Years ago, I learned to paint these surfaces with latex paint to extend the lifespan. Now I am using very hot melted beeswax and a small paint brush to apply wax to the join surfaces. I'll know in a few years if the wax is effective in reducing this decay.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

^ Fusion, are you talking about the edge where one box sits on top of another(where the hive tool is sticking out in the first picture above your post)? Should I "paint" that area with some Titebond?

I think people tend to worry to much about the small things! Remember painting is not brain surgery.
    My advise is to buy some ext paint or some ext paint and primer in one. Buy a good name brand apply a couple of good coats. And worry no more about it...

The only thing IMHO you must worry about is what color you use. I advise white if you must use colors stay with light colors or pastels... Those hives will get hot this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beestricken View Post
    ^ Fusion, are you talking about the edge where one box sits on top of another(where the hive tool is sticking out in the first picture above your post)? Should I "paint" that area with some Titebond?
    Hummmm...I'm confussed I thought Titebond was a glue? How do you use it as a paint or edge sealer please explain and what type to use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Are you priming before using the Behr exterior paint or do you apply it directly to the bare wood? How many coats do you apply?
    We use Behr also. We also beat the price by buying oops (miss tint) cans. Primer followed by 2 coats of paint. I cannot say how long it lasts on a hive but on my house it has lasted 9 years and counting. The last coat of paint on this house lasted 15 years.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    Hummmm...I'm confussed I thought Titebond was a glue? How do you use it as a paint or edge sealer please explain and what type to use?

Thanks
    I think what was referenced is to use this glue to paint the end grain. The end grain is where the moisture will seap in the worst. Use Titebond 2 or 3 not regular titebond. If you use just "Titebond" then the glue will separate with water exposure. I use Titebond 2 because it's water proof and it's cheaper than Titebond 3 and all of the Titebond glues are stronger than the wood, so the fact that Titebond 3 is stronger than Titebond 2 doesn't mean anything to me. (They're both stronger than the surrounding wood so what difference does it make) The purpose of the glue on the end grain is to seal up the pores on the boards so that moisture doesn't seap in. Some say that doing this will extend the life of the boxes. I personally haven't done this, but I also don't have boxes that are 10+ years old yet. I know of some on here that after 5 or so years will repaint their boxes. If this is done with a good quality paint then I think "painting the end grain" is not needed. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_in_Westsylvania View Post
    I used Eco-Treatment on one of my PINE hives last spring. It's been less than a year, but so far, I am satisfied. It continues to change color.

Eco00.jpg Eco01.jpg Eco02.JPG Eco03.JPG
    Bob, I am curious about the dull, gray/brown finish that I see in your photos. Before applying the eco-Treatment were the unpainted boxes new wood? Does the finish create the dull look? I don't dislike the look, but it almost looks like unfinished weathered boxes.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    Bob, I am curious about the dull, gray/brown finish that I see in your photos. Before applying the eco-Treatment were the unpainted boxes new wood? Does the finish create the dull look? I don't dislike the look, but it almost looks like unfinished weathered boxes.

Phil
    Phil, the finish does create the dull look, my boxes were unpainted new wood and they dulled to the same look as well.

Cheers,
    Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    We use Behr also. We also beat the price by buying oops (miss tint) cans. Primer followed by 2 coats of paint. I cannot say how long it lasts on a hive but on my house it has lasted 9 years and counting. The last coat of paint on this house lasted 15 years.
    Same here, use very high quality mistinted paint, much better than cheap exterior paint. Don't care about the color

After reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that most of us don't take into consideration that all habitats are local. I read about rotting hives and warping problems that here in southern Alberta don't exist or are minimal. I have out back an old grainery that I use for junk storage, it is at least 60 years old and has never had a lick of paint. The building is still sound with absolutely no rot because of low humidity and moderate rainfall. This is not the only building like this, there are thousands like it across the prairies. Just an observation.
    Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

I used some good old Minwax clear stain. Two coats (a day between coats) then three coats of Minwax polyurethane with a day between each coat. All on the outside of the hive only and was very careful not to get any inside. So far they seem happy and fine.

You might be able to get away with no paint on the plains, but here the humidity is much too high. A 50 year old unpainted building here will be a pile of rotting wood -- there are several barns in the area that have not been painted in the last 30 years and they are all falling down.

Unpainted pine around here exposed to damp rots in a couple years. In the desert southwest, probably would last 100.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by labradorfarms View Post
    I think people tend to worry to much about the small things! Remember painting is not brain surgery.
    My advise is to buy some ext paint or some ext paint and primer in one. Buy a good name brand apply a couple of good coats. And worry no more about it...

The only thing IMHO you must worry about is what color you use. I advise white if you must use colors stay with light colors or pastels... Those hives will get hot this summer.
    With all due respect, it's back to all beekeeping is local, I guess. In northwest Washington state, I'm less than a mile from salt water, and the sky is grey, grey, grey. I like DARK colors, even have a BLACK hive (flat black oops paint). I can count the days over 80 degrees last year on one hand, and not a single day did that hive beard or fan. The thermal gain from my black and dark green hives seems to help the bees cleanse at 41 degrees, while my lighter colored hives don't fly until 45. The only reason to have WHITE hives here is tradition or paint cost.

I don't know if I have said it, but I know others have. . . If you choose to paint, don't buy cheap paint!!! I did one time. Lesson learned. It's not worth the time to repaint after under a year.

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Unpainted pine around here exposed to damp rots in a couple years. In the desert southwest, probably would last 100.Peter
    I reclaimed pine studs and siding that have been sitting outside for 40 years. They are straighter than studs and 1 x 10 you can buy at Lowe's. The only problem is they are super dry and that makes machining them a bit more difficult. That was the lumber that wasn't sitting directly on the ground.

Don't buy cheap paint.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook