Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Paint/Stain What do you use/How long is it lasting?

Got a bunch of new equipment (ponderosa pine from Kelleys) for the spring and want to get opinions on what you use and more important, how long it lasts.

Thanks

Default Re: Paint/Stain What do you use/How long is it lasting?

You will get lots of opinions on this one but as far as I am concerned this stuff is the "gold standard". It's not cheap in any way. The first time I tried it I was cured from ever buying budget barn paint again.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Exter...1#.UQaFTGt5mSM
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Eco Wood Treatment, available from Walter T. Kelley or from Home Depot. Creates a beautiful weathered look on wood, and you don't have to worry about re-applying.

I also recommend the Eco Wood Treatment from Walter T. Kelley. I have attached a picture of our hive. This was in July about 4 months after we applied the treatment. According to Walter T. Kelley, you never have to reapply. 007.jpg

SueBeeTN, it looks great, I'll have to try some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Cody View Post
    Eco Wood Treatment...from Home Depot.
    Is HD cheaper than Kelley?

I haven't tried the Eco Wood but as far as paint goes I second the Home Depot Behr paint no comparison. I've tried Lowe's top notch and it's like night and day. Behr is a little pricey but for ease of application and durability it's head and shoulders above the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Is HD cheaper than Kelley?
    Walter T. Kelley is currently $16.00 for a box that makes 1 GL, Home Depot is $16.49 for the same and Amazon is currently the highest at $19.95. Of course if you pick it up at Home Depot you would not have any shipping charge plus if you have a lot of hives, they have a 5 Gallon treatment for $74.49. Hope this helps!

I think Kelley is actually cheaper if you buy it by the gal. Home Depot is if you want 5 gal. I'd recommend getting 1 gal to start with. It makes plenty. I wouldn't be shocked if you could treat 40 to 50+ boxes with 1 gal. I recommend applying to the exterior of boxes before assembly. Some people dip em, I just lay them out flat on my tailgate and apply with a foam brush. You'll think you got gypped at first, because nothing happens, but after getting rained on 1 time it transitions nicely to the color SueBeeTN posted.

We foud semi-gloss latex was the easiest to use and the longest lasting until a few years ago someone got sent for paint and came back with 5 gallons of stain. clean up was a hassel but clearly it sunk into the wood and after 4 years afield we are using stain for all new woodwork. A couple of things to consider with paint is color. Darker colored paints were shown to increase hive temps and have a negative impact on varroa and also helped in keeping hives hidden in outyards or suburban areas where the sight of bright white beehives might bring unwanted attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    You will get lots of opinions on this one but as far as I am concerned this stuff is the "gold standard". It's not cheap in any way. The first time I tried it I was cured from ever buying budget barn paint again.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Exter...1#.UQaFTGt5mSM
    There is always at least 5 cans of that on the mis-tint shelf of our local HD.
    I just got 3 cans for $7.00 ea and it really is a easy to use durable paint.

Are you priming before using the Behr exterior paint or do you apply it directly to the bare wood? How many coats do you apply?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Are you priming before using the Behr exterior paint or do you apply it directly to the bare wood? How many coats do you apply?
    It is self priming. You could save a little money by going to some type of dedicated primer like Zinsser or the like if you would choose. Two well applied coats will usually do the trick.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have been putting Titebond III on all end grain, knots and nail holes. Then I apply two coats of Zinsser and then two coats of Menards exterior (don't remember the brand) white, semi-gloss latex. I don't have enough history to know how it will work. About 3 weeks ago I tried burning the grain of some hives and applied 3 coats of marine varnish. They look much nicer than the white painted ones, but we will see how they last.

Thanks for all the input. I wonder how long the Eco wood treatment would last? Sure looks nice and would be less labor in applying it than paint. Those of you painting how many years are you getting before having to redo?

Is the Eco product a paint or a dip? I was under the impression from Kelley's description that it is a powder that you mix with water and dip.

As far as paint, I use Valspar 2-in-1 primer + paint for finishing my hives.

mis tints are 5 bucks a gallon at shirwin williams and all those paints and stains are there

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    Is the Eco product a paint or a dip? I was under the impression from Kelley's description that it is a powder that you mix with water and dip.
    It is a powder that you mix, but you do not have to dip boxes. Before assembling new equipment I get a foam brush and apply to the outside and let dry. I don't like to dip because I want to leave the inside natural. But on another thread here on Beesource someone contacted the company and they said that it would be safe for the bees if the wood treatment was applied to the inside of the hive. I can't vouch for how long it will work because I've only had mine on my boxes for a couple of seasons, but so far there is no deterioration. I prefer the look compared to painted boxes, and as was mentioned earlier it is much less labor intensive.

Ahhh the age old question, to paint, stain, etc. This is what we do and it works for us.

We build our own boxes out of pine and brand every panel before assembly using the drill press method. During assembly we use Titebond III on the joints and fasten them using 7/16x1.5" galvanized staples via a Senco pneumatic stapler. Once the glue dries we prepare a batch of Eco Treatment. It comes in a powder form and we make 5-10 gallons at a shot using distilled water. The reason for the distilled water is that it will store in solution longer without worry, per the manufacturer. In addition, for each gallon of mix we add about 5 ounces (a little more than 1/2 a cup) of water based dye, which can be purchased at your local paint or big box store. The reason for the dye is to further distinguish our equipment even though it is branded. We use browns and greens to blend in with the surroundings and to warrant a clean look. Eco is poured into a large pan and each super is rotated through the solution. The interior and the sides all get coated. We treat all equipment the same. Yes it uses a lot of eco treatment, but compare the product cost to the labor cost of paining equipment. Plus the eco allows for the branding to stand out.

The average lifespan of a super, in our opinion is 10 years. We stopped dealing with paint for several reasons, but the main reason being that one day a large chip of oil based paint lodged itself under a finger nail. From that point on, no more paint.