Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

white pollens

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BeeGhost 
#1 ·
Hi, All! My hive is going strong now with the new queen. On a good sunny day in the mid 50s, I can see lots of bees flying around collecting nectar and pollens. I have seen many different colors of pollens they are bringing in ranging from light solid to puffy yellowish color. Some are darker orange color. They have been bringing in the yellow and orange pollens all week long. Today I went outside to look at what they are bringing in for the harvest. I saw some bees bringing in white color pollens.
The bee fact states that bees will exhaust one area of nectar and pollens before moving on to another area. But I still saw some yellowish pollens being brought in today. So I am thinking what flowers are blooming right now. Does anybody know what flower is associated with the white pollens?

You'll have to pause on the pic before it goes away, sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7APO13fYCI&feature=youtu.be

#3 ·
One winter I watched as workers brought in huge loads of a snowy white pollen, such big loads they could hardly walk. I could not figure it out until I discovered the girls out at my compost pile where I had dumped a bag of pancake mix someone had given me. They were in a dither loading up the precious stuff and flying home. Pancakes and honey, yum!

#4 ·
My bees were bringing in the same white colored pollen and I'm almost 100% sure it's from eucalyptus as its the only abundant thing blooming right now where my hives are, and I also Bee lined the foragers to see if they were going towards the euc stand and they were.

#7 ·
Thanks to all who replied. So it is, eucalyptus! This is my first time ever seen some white pollens.
They are still bringing in the yellow pollens but not the puffy kind anymore. More like compact
solid shiny yellow to light orange. I took a drive around my area today trying to locate a eucalyptus tree around my neighborhood. The red flowers are all blooming now on both sides of the freeway. Big and tall trees out there. So I figured they are too far from my house for my bees to get there. Then on my way home just about to turn into my street right in front of me is a few big and tall 60' + eucalyptus trees. And only 2 minutes driving time from my house. So must be the blooms that is attracting my bees there. How long do you think the eucalyptus bloom will last into? I also saw a 6' tall purple plum tree all covered with pink small flowers next to a Church. But no purple leaves yet. Too bad this one not in my backyard now. How come this plum flower so early more than my backyard almonds? I thought we are still cold and frosty in some nights out there. Is this a sign that the Spring time is finally here?

#9 ·
These are the trees that align the 99 freeway and all the way to Berkeley. The barks are brownish tan color and the flowers are reddish in clusters. I would say they will bloom right into the early summer then. Since the honey is strong from these trees I have to dilute it a little. I think the borage, canola and daisy will do I suppose. So much to
learn here.

#11 ·
The only real plant that I see along a lot of Bay Area freeways is oleander, they are highly toxic to bees, humans and animals. The honey can be toxic to bees and humans. They usually start flowering into the summer and can be pink and white in color. From what I have heard the bees will only hit it if nothing else is available. Another tree that is found in CA that is toxic to bees is the California buck eye. They bloom in the spring and produce a pink flower as well.

Eucalyptus can have different bloom colors according to the species, like pink and white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.