Thread: What's growing

Default What's growing

Hi, All! I was wondering what are you growing now for your bees before the real Spring time kicks in just to give them an early start.
    Anybody potting any flowers, veggies, and herbs yet? Or how about something that winter over and still growing in your backyard or area?

Default Re: What's growing

Not sure this answers your questions, but this is what I have going. Almost everything except the thyme and chamomile is dormant for me on the East Coast:

Plants overwintering inside:
    Echinacea
    Hibiscus
    Hostas
    Hyacinth
    Iris
    Lemon balm
    Peppermint
    Roman Chamomile
    Rosemary (not doing well)
    Salvia (not sure which species)
    Thai basil
    Thyme
    Weeping cherry

Seeds started inside:
    Calendula
    Chamomile
    Cosmos
    Echinacea
    Tomatos (Italian and American heirlooms)
    Jalapeno

I'm waiting on the veggies

Default Re: What's growing

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Hi, All! I was wondering what are you growing now for your bees before the real Spring time kicks in just to give them an early start.
    Anybody potting any flowers, veggies, and herbs yet? Or how about something that winter over and still growing in your backyard or area?
    Well,we are not growing anything ourselves, but we are letting things grow in our yard. When patches of henbit/deadnettle or some other early blooming weeds "take over" an area, we just let them grow. For us, some of the best early plants are trees like the red maple.

We have a giant red maple in our yard. One late Feb. day, before I was a beekeeper, I was in the yard. This tree was COVERED in bees. From top to bottom and this tree is well over 80' tall and 40' wide. You could hear them from over 60' away, easy. I was hooked.

Shane