Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

very small cluster stored in warmth

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tsmullins 
#1 ·
I have one hive alive with only a queen and a few hundred bees. I'm storing them in a place where I can keep the temperature from getting below 40 degrees. But a few hundred bees is still a very small cluster. Can I add a frame with bees from one of my strong hives? Will they fight?

#2 ·
Personaly I would just call it a loss if they don't make it with what you are doing. There is still plenty of winter left, and I wouldn't want to take resources from anouther hive and put them into harms way and run the risk of lossing two colonies. Generally speaking, in good weather, adding brood to a weak colony is fine, but I am not sure if I would just add a bunch of bees as you would have to do now. I would keep an eye on them to see if and when they fail, then store the hive for a split or package this spring. I say "store" because an uninhabited hive would be a good target for mice, wax moths, etc.

#4 ·
You don't necessarily have to give up on them just yet, here's why. Last year I had a similar colony that made it through the winter but there was only the queen and about 300 bees. I put them into a 5 frame nuc box and let them go, they became one of my strongest colonies, it took them awhile to build up but they ended up producing over 125 lbs. If you add a frame of emerging brood with adhering bees it will help even more, one frame is not going to hurt the donor colony that much, just take it from your strongest hive. John

#5 ·
I have a hive that had a queen and very small cluster of bees. I put them in a nuc and brought them indoors. I am could not just let them die. If they live great, but if not, I tried. I fixed it so that the bees could come and go, but a person could just carry the nuc outside on warm days. Good luck with your bees. Furniture Room Table

#8 ·
I have a hive that had a queen and very small cluster of bees. I put them in a nuc and brought them indoors. I am could not just let them die. If they live great, but if not, I tried. I fixed it so that the bees could come and go, but a person could just carry the nuc outside on warm days. Good luck with your bees. View attachment 4113
Now that is cool!! Would they try to fly out when it was too cold?

Shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.