Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

honey crystalization sight

9K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Cantrellc123 
#1 ·
Hi,
Please take a look on the pictures i attached.
I have a lot of jars that has these white amorphic
spots that customers dosn't like. These spots apears
in three different honey types after crystalization
of course.

The honey is 100% pure and i wonder if these
spots are air bubles and how can i prevent them
from the begining and if there is something
to do so the honey will be homogeneous ??

Thank you,
Randi, Israel

Food Canning Ingredient Mason jar Cuisine
Food Raw milk Hemp milk Ingredient Drink
Food Raw milk Grain milk Hemp milk Dairy

See less See more
#4 ·
I would wrap with a heating pad and leave on low overnight to re-liquefy and see if air, wax or moisture come to surface and then use plastic wrap set on top to lift out the offending material. This way you could test one jar. I have used the pad to liquefy a jar or two sometimes and after I wrap pad around the jar I wrap the pad with a blanket or some reflective material.
Just a thought.

#7 ·
Well give me a good reason. I'm willing to learn or I wouldn't be at this site.

I've not had to do it very often but over the course of 20 years it hasn't created any problems that I'm aware of or changed the taste. Being as I was the person consuming it, I think that's a good observation.

#8 ·
These are the sugar crystals inside the jar. I have seen them inside my honey jars also. They don't look like the regular liquid honey that we're used to. So customers not want to buy because they don't look the same to what they are used to. Somehow the cooler part in a jar when exposed to outside temp is making sugar crystals faster than the inside jar. So I am thinking one part is cooling faster than the other part. Not so sure of the chemistry behind it just my observation and experience so far. I'm thinking to test freeze one side of the jar with liquid nitrogen to see if the same result or not.
I have tried the heat pad way to liquify the honey. It works as described above! Put these jars inside a box and lined the box with a thick cloth or towel and put the heat pad over the box covering the jars. On high setting the honey will liquify within one hour or so depending on how big the jar is. My small jars will liquify in half hour. And then I don't see anymore sugar crystals. They're all honey now just blended in. Be sure not to shake the jar otherwise you will have many small bubbles mixed in with the honey. Then they will look cloudy. Even I don't want to buy at that sight because they don't look the same as what I am used to the regular honey color. Don't worry your honey is still good to use. Trying to convince your customers is another story.

Another way is to put in hot water to liquify the honey if you don't want to use the microwave. Microwave at 30 secs interval with one minute wait time. From what I have read you can do so. I think anything that passes thru heat will lose its nutritional value somewhat. But thru the microwave not sure who has done the study on honey yet. Maybe not so good for long term storage afterward?

#12 ·
Microwaves will change the viscosity allowing more oxygen in limiting the natural anti microbial properties of honey. That is what my scientist friend Jerry explained to me.

Microwaves basically make honey sterile and ruin the benefits of honey. Making honey nothing more sugary water.

#14 ·
I'd really like to see some factual documentation on this. Until then I'll put my boots on before I log on.
Heat is heat, I'm pretty certain it would be a bad idea to drop a jar of honey into boiling water and leave it there 15-20 min or so just as it would be a bad idea to put a jar into a microwave and set it at the max setting 5-10 min.
On the other hand slow heating shows no ill effects to honey whether it be by a microwave or other heat source. I've been there done that.
If I see factual data proving me wrong I'll admit I'm wrong, until then B.S. on the microwave.

If you listen to enough bee keepers there is a train of thought that ANY heat applied to honey is detrimental to the health benefits of honey. I'll not argue against that at all but then again heated honey is heated honey. If you apply it to quickly or to hot its a bad idea.

#13 ·
I am always suprise from the quality of this forum - thanks a lot for all the answers.

I think beepro is right and it is relative large grains of sugar. i will make the heat test,
see what is happening and write again.

Chau,
Randi, Israel

#17 ·
The heat pad really has a constant heat setting over time, you can go low, med or high. Your honey not going to burn and turn to liquid instead. I like this idea. Sugar crystals will always be there when it is cold. Also, you can put a label to cover the jar if you don't want to mess with heating them up. It is a bit of work for the label but good for advertising I would say.

#29 ·
" In my experiences there wil be at least 50% of your potential customers that absolutely will not buy granulated honey no matter the health benefits. "

I have just got back from the farmers market. In my case ( today) about 20% went for the crystalised honey - most prefer the liquid stuff.
I was born in Switzerland. In my country of birth liquid honey was hardly known. The same applies to most of Europe and NZ.The reason is simple - the relatively low temperatures in these countries results in crystalising honey much quicker then in my sub-tropicsl home of choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.