Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: honey crystalization sight

Ignorance is bliss

All you need is the right label like this quality stuff in the Asian Food Mart....

Little hard to read, but the last words are "Can trust edible"!!!! seems legit

You can also piece together .." Honey flavored Syrup" from this.. Not honey in my opinion..

That's what my Goldenrod honey looks like after about a month. To re-liquify it you want long slow heat. If you park your car in the sun during the summer that should do it or you can put the jar in a hot water bath.

Same thing happens to mine after a while. One really easy way to re-liquify is to simply put the jars next to a window that gets a lot of sun and let solar power do the job! Only takes a couple warm days to do it, I rotate the jars a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantrellc123 View Post
    I'd really like to see some factual documentation on this. Until then I'll put my boots on before I log on.
    Heat is heat, I'm pretty certain it would be a bad idea to drop a jar of honey into boiling water and leave it there 15-20 min or so just as it would be a bad idea to put a jar into a microwave and set it at the max setting 5-10 min.
    On the other hand slow heating shows no ill effects to honey whether it be by a microwave or other heat source. I've been there done that.
    If I see factual data proving me wrong I'll admit I'm wrong, until then B.S. on the microwave.

If you listen to enough bee keepers there is a train of thought that ANY heat applied to honey is detrimental to the health benefits of honey. I'll not argue against that at all but then again heated honey is heated honey. If you apply it to quickly or to hot its a bad idea.
    Money to research known problems is tough enough to come by. I suspect only ear marked government spending will entertain creating documentation for microwave honey.

Intuitively I can agree heat is detrimental to raw honey. Since my operation (as noted by my agriculture census forms) is small scale and costs more to operate than I can buy honey at the whole food stores and because I feel local raw honey provides more benefit than any other type, I don't see the sense in heating by any means. The most I'll do is gently heat the jars in warm water over time to make it more attractive as gifts.

Beyond that, I suspect we'll be rousting the Hatfields and McCoys.

Hey, if you want to nuke your honey by all means do so, I on the other hand agree with Throrope, no heat...to the point that if it crystallizes thats how I sell it. 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    Money to research known problems is tough enough to come by. I suspect only ear marked government spending will entertain creating documentation for microwave honey.

Intuitively I can agree heat is detrimental to raw honey. Since my operation (as noted by my agriculture census forms) is small scale and costs more to operate than I can buy honey at the whole food stores and because I feel local raw honey provides more benefit than any other type, I don't see the sense in heating by any means. The most I'll do is gently heat the jars in warm water over time to make it more attractive as gifts.

Beyond that, I suspect we'll be rousting the Hatfields and McCoys.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head; as far as I know there is NO actual documentation supporting the theory that microwaving honey slowly is detrimental to the honey. Only opinions
    Common sense would dictate that EXCESSIVE heating would indeed cause issues with honey quality whether it be by microwave or other heat source. I have to assume the people that disagree with the use of a microwave to heat honey haven't thought or realized that you can slow heat with a microwave.
    If you have the opportunity this summer, go and set up for sales at your local Farmers Market and have granulated honey AND non granulated (heated) honey for sale. In my experiences there wil be at least 50% of your potential customers that absolutely will not buy granulated honey no matter the health benefits. If your customer base is strong on the health benefits of honey you should consider selling your cappings to people battling allergies. Once you've built up a clientele that has realized the benefits of chewing cappings you can price it as high as your conscience will allow.

" In my experiences there wil be at least 50% of your potential customers that absolutely will not buy granulated honey no matter the health benefits. "

I have just got back from the farmers market. In my case ( today) about 20% went for the crystalised honey - most prefer the liquid stuff.
    I was born in Switzerland. In my country of birth liquid honey was hardly known. The same applies to most of Europe and NZ.The reason is simple - the relatively low temperatures in these countries results in crystalising honey much quicker then in my sub-tropicsl home of choice.

Here's an interesting thread on microwaving honey...

http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-214912.html
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

That's some good information guys.

The following statement covers this subject and all of life: EVERYTHING in moderation