Default chicken feed and bees

Hello everyone!
    I haven't posted here in awhile but I'm having a problem with my neighbors and would appreciate any suggestions. The weather here has been in the teens at night but up in the 50's during the day and my bees are flying during the day looking for pollen. I have had three of my neighbors call and complain that bees are in their chicken feed(egg maker) I have pollen patties on all three of my hives and also honey balls. It's possible they are feral bees but I'm the only beek in this area and my location is high desert with mostly scrub brush and cactus.

Default Re: chicken feed and bees

You could try putting a bag of that chicken feed in a feeder closer to your hives to see if you can get the bees to take your feed instead of the neighbors feed.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I would mark some worker bees to see if they have the same colors. If they do then perhaps go open feed with dry pollens or substitute powder feed. Not sure if feeding chicken feed is good for the bees in the long run. Never try that so don't know. Perhaps there are other beekeeper around that you have not met them yet. There could be other feral bees around your area too that you have not discover them as well. I am thinking to put net or cover around the chicken feed to prevent the bees from getting in but the chickens still able to feed. How to is the invention here. Need to find out first if those are your bees or not.

On the warm days my bees are out with good number. We are at 6000 ft near Payson. Our pollen patties are mostly used up with more to go on soon. rjbeardog@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by AZBEEK View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I haven't posted here in awhile but I'm having a problem with my neighbors and would appreciate any suggestions. The weather here has been in the teens at night but up in the 50's during the day and my bees are flying during the day looking for pollen. I have had three of my neighbors call and complain that bees are in their chicken feed(egg maker) I have pollen patties on all three of my hives and also honey balls. It's possible they are feral bees but I'm the only beek in this area and my location is high desert with mostly scrub brush and cactus.
    I have placed chicken feed out around my yard, waiting on delivery of brood builder from Dadant but with all the rain it's just nothing but mush. Will have to come up with some way to cover the feed.

I have had that same issue with my chicken feed every spring. I know that they are definitely my bees, and they seem to like the crumble chicken feed better than the pellet kind. My guess is that there is some pollen mixed into the feed when it is made, or maybe the poor bees are just desperate for protein. Either way, they don't seem to bother the chickens and the chickens don't bother the bees, so it is not really a problem in my case. Good luck! Post if you find a solution.

Maybe this will work but you have to test the unit first to see. Someone here said to put the chicken feed or pigeon feed box inside a 55 gallon drum but only 1/2 is cut off leaving the other half for the bees to fly in. If you can make an extension to cover the outside of the drum then the rain cannot get inside. Then tip the drum on one side and secure it on the outsides maybe with bricks or long woods so it would not roll away. To get the bees to notice, first you have to put some essential oil or honey to lure your bees inside the drum.

So I am thinking a small shed will do to keep the feed dry during a rainy day. It is not hard to build a water proof small shed either made from recycle materials perhaps. Or get it for free on the net try CL to see. Then you can hang as many bird feeders or pigeon feeder boxes you like for the bees to fly in. You can lock the door if not in use at night to keep the animals out. Or how about a simple small PVC green house or carport. Maybe somebody here has a better idea.

My bees mess around at our chicken feeders during this time of year, not sure why but there is something attractive to them. We only feed organic soy, corn and canola free feed so I am not worried about anything they pick up. Someone else said the bees don't bother the chickens and the chickens don't bother the bees - I can confirm the same on the ranch here.

I doubt there is a way to prevent them from flying over to your neighbors chicken yards, unless you lock them up tight at night and don't let them out during the day
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch