Default Hauling bees with gooseneck trailer

Does anyone here have any pros and cons on hauling bees with a flatbed gooseneck trailer?

If I'm successful with my spring splits this year I'm going to need to be able to move those hives to a location in late summer that is approximate 500 miles away. I keep double deeps and guess at an average weight of 100 lbs each (what's the recommended weight going into a TX winter?). I'm hoping to end the spring flow with 200 double deep hives completely drawn out and with honey stores. I expect that hive quantity plus creating some late summer splits for spring replacement hives to be the size of my operation going into the future.

The only time I'd move all 200 would be January, March, July, and September. My plan is to buy a loader, trailer, net, straps, and vehicle to handle that capacity. I'm wondering if a flatbed gooseneck trailer and truck would suffice for just handling the hives? Am I better off hiring trucking to handle the hives always and just handle the loader myself?

I currently have no problem handling 30 hives at a time with just a truck and utility trailer. I move my hives and/or supers by myself with just a dolly and I'm able to do everything in a few hours. However, I could not handle 200 hives that way in one day (and still be ok the next if I did). Also, I've never moved hives into a place like the almonds where they would have to be placed over a large area and in places I couldn't get the truck up to (my utility trailer has a ramp). I've never had to haul around a loader either which presents the problem of two trucks requiring two people or more.

The other option was partnering with other beeks around here who want to get together for economy of scale. But, I've been warned that partnerships don't always perform as expected.

If the recommendation is to go with the gooseneck trailer, truck, and loader? Any recommendations on what to get? And where do I get a net to fit the trailer? Even though I always move my hives with a hive cover that allows ventilation for the bees I don't think I'd have the time to do that with 200 hives and I am concerned about someone who is allergic getting stung when I have to stop for fuel, etc. Also, what about licensing? is a CDL required? Once a year I'd be going out of state and then coming back.

Default Re: Hauling bees with gooseneck trailer

I think a semi and trailer would be cheaper than ay light truck and goose neck you could come up with. Semi's go cheap. Farmers buy the tractors and chop off the sleeper and extend the frame and make them into straight trucks cheaper than buying one. I see semi tractors pulling big fifth wheel camper trailers. Consider that market and don't lock in on goose necks.

Are you on pallets now with clips for moving them? It is going to cost you $2.50 a loaded mile to move them with a semi. once you have your truck and gooseneck then you can do other hauling with them. if you are going to cross state lines you will need a dot number and a upgrade to a C license so you can haul up to 26,000 lbs. You may have to bet a B License if you are going to haul 200 hives as that would put you at 15,000 to 20,000lbs plus the truck and trailer weight. But a C license will carry you up to 36,000lbs.

lots to learn when you get to this level and are moving bees. dept of ag moving permits, Log books, weight stations, upset gas stations and of course the breadown with bees on the truck.

I live next to Hwy 97 on the OR./Cali. boarder. In the last few years [since iv'e gotten into bees] I pay attention to all the loads going by. Last year I noticed quite a few loads on pickups and trailers. This year there seams to be more of this going on. It makes me wonder if the trucking cost is to high or if there are allot more small time guys [like my self] trying to jump into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    if you are going to cross state lines you will need a dot number and a upgrade to a C license so you can haul up to 26,000 lbs. You may have to bet a B License if you are going to haul 200 hives as that would put you at 15,000 to 20,000lbs plus the truck and trailer weight. But a C license will carry you up to 36,000lbs.
    Can you clarify? I have a Class C, but didn't know it gave me a higher gvwr. I thought it was only for 16+ passengers or hazardous materials.

There is already another thread on Beesource about titling/ registering as farm vehicle and whether it will be valid > 150 miles from the farm etc etc... but until those rules are written in stone, the safe bet is the DOT registration WITH CDL to carry >26000 #'s... and IF you carry someone ELSE'S property.. ie: someone else's bees for hire... am pretty sure you have to have an "Authority and specific carrier insurance requirements". I was thinking about running my truck and 40' flatbed as a hotshot and that is what I pretty much determined. There is much info on the web if you search it. BUUUUUTTTTT.... IF you register your truck as a motorhome... no CDL required..... but you better be able to convince a LEO that the 200 hives of bees on the trailer are part of your motorhome and purely recreational... I drive a cabover semi pulling a 40' 5th wheel travel trailer... grosses about 43,000 #'s for the whole rig... and NO CDL REQUIRED anywhere in the USA...
    Oh.. forgot to add... THAT depends what state you are registered... my situation is true for MOST states, and because I am legal in MS.. I am legal in all states with "reciprocity".

I haul 144 colonies on a 20 ft gooseneck trailer (only have 18 usable feet). 200 is only half semi load. You will need atleast a 25 foot trailer that is rated for probably 25000 lbs to be on safe side.

You probably would be better off buying a used semi and trailer.