Thread: california gold

Default california gold

well its getting that time of year again the almond bees are movin in. ran down to bakersfield today saw a few holding yards along the way got me to thinking how many are going to go home right after almonds an how many are going to stay load up on the real california gold { orange honey} then head home with the loot in they're saddle bags {sorry ben watching westerns tonight}
    now before you get upset let me explain my thought 4-5 years ago we averaged 70-100lbs per hive depending on location 2-3years ago 40-60 lbs, last year 20-30 lbs these are not my numbers but from a few commercial guys in the area 1000 hive outfit to 15000 same out come . now we have had strange weather, to wet, to dry,to hot at the wrong time . but we also have had extreme pressure from out of state beekeepers this makes wonder which is the real problem .
    five years ago only 1 load of bees 1/2 mile from my home yard last year 6 differant beekeepers with in that 1/2 mile radius only 1 local beekeeper every one else 3hrs away to 2000 miles . i know other states have restrictions on locations maybe we need something to protech our local commercial guys . what if we just dropped our bees next door to them . [ yes i did have a out of towner ask my neighbor to drop load right next door to me ] and yes my place is a beekeepers home boxes truck forklifts out in open peaple know what i do that is not in the industry. i know another beekeeper could spot me if he cared .
    so the question is do we have a problem or do we not? how do other states handle the out of towners ? now im not talking about the guys that buy into local economy buy land/houses , pay local taxes im asking about the guys that dump there load supper up an leave come back grab the gold an run with no skin in the game. id like to here what you have to deal with and how?

Default Re: california gold

When Trachael mite arrived, Vermont beekeepers got together with law makers and crafted an apiary law with a mileage limit between commercial apiaries.
    commercial yards had to hold at least 15 colonies...should have been a higher number... and be 2 miles apart. Land owners could have as many colonies on their property as they wanted and mileage limits didn't apply. At the time there were very few commercials...less than 10, and we had a gentleman's agreement not to move in on each other anyway, which worked fine for us. The mileage limit worked well to keep huge operations from moving in on us.

Even though all the beekeepers agreed, and the State legislators helped us write the law, I wonder if that law is constitutional. It has never been challenged.

I hear ya bigbill. It's the new reality out there...and everywhere else where bee income can be made. There is such a demand for bees this time of year and with transportation costs so high it's inevitable that lots of hives will stay in the state and compete for what forage can be found. Throw in the fact that with changing farming practices there is less and less good bee pasteurage for those that do move their bees. Is someone going to move their hives 2,000+ miles in hopes of making 60 lbs. of honey? In short too many hives with too few good locations to put them in. Not an ideal situation to say the least. The common myth is that bees are dying off, the reality is that honey production is in decline because agriculture in general is changing.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The common myth is that bees are dying off,
    For "some" it is a myth....
    The part that is really comical, is that they whine about the grading, they say the bees died in transport, complain about the tax. Then they sit right on top of the Calif keeper in the oranges.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

One of the problems is what to do with your bees when they build up good on the almonds. If you are moving back up north it's to early for hives packed full of bees. You need a place and time to split and staying in Cali. offers this. On the other side people don't seem to have the same level of respect as a few years ago. I think Siskiyou Co. has a decent law in affect but would have to be tweaked to accommodate pollination do to the closeness of groves.

Very well said Jim! Take a drive up to North Dakota mid July and I can promise you on any given day the out of state bee trucks will out number the locals. Much of what you are describing is the same pressure we feel at home. Like Jim said "not an ideal situation to say the least but its the new reality out there.