Hybrid View

Default Need opinions on handles

Im ganna sell cabnet joint hives this spring and i take a 3 inch piece of white pine and cut 30 degree angle on it and staple and glue them u get alot better hand on them and if u got just 2 handles migatory top beeks cant conplain because the tops are the same with so no space loss.honest opions please

Default Re: Need opions on handles

Can you post some photos?

There are folks that use cleats as handles and like them.

They do add 3/4" width to each side, so folks who stack them on pallets might not care for them.

What is a cabnet joint hive?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I attach handles like you are talking about on my hive bodies. I use a 15 degree slope on top to shed water. This year, I'm also putting that 15 degree slope on the bottom of the handle as a drip edge to shed water away from the hive body.

My hive body corners are rabbit joints glued with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty exterior grade subfloor adhesive.

Do you use staples or nails/ screws to hold the rabbit joint solid? Or do you just use the adhesive ONLY? curious.... I built all my boxes with rabbit joints.... was thinking to change over to finger joints as my boxes get flimsy quickly.. Thanks

I use 1 1/2" galvanized narrow crown staples. Just a hunch, but my guess is that your joints loosen because the glue factor. Use an exterior grade subfloor adhesive. I buy it in the big tubes to save money. Warm it up prior to use. It is not pretty glue, doesn't wipe off clean like wood glue does, is thick , gooey, and messy to work with. Remember we're not building finish cabinetry here.
    Being a natural born klutz, my boxes can and have taken a lot of abuse but are as strong as ever.

Update: My Lowes quit carrying 1 1/2" galvanized staples but still do carry 1 3/8". I see no difference in the outcome.
    I use tightbond 2 for gluing frames.
    Last edited by DonShackelford; 01-27-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: 1 3/8 works too