Default I Need A Plan For SGX Frames.

I am in the process of making frames for the coming season and need one for the SGX style that several companies offer for the Pierco foundation or Permadent. Does anyone have a good drawing or plan or know where I can find one? I searched the net and came up with zilch.

Default Re: I Need A Plan For SGX Frames.

Not sure what you mean by SGX but here are plans from Beesource for Dadant style frames.
    http://www.beesource.com/files/dadantfr.pdf

I am not sure either, but it is the one recommended for the plastic foundation. There must be something different, it has its own name. It is not on the Dadant frame pdf that I could tell.

This link does not provide the plans you are seeking, but it does provide some info from Michael Bush about different frames.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=35957.0

It may be that the SGX frame is essentially just a thicker top bar.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

As one who does make my own frames, I keep a handful of Walter T Kelly frames around to base dimensions on. I've found there is a lot of science behind these, and short cutting or deviating from the dimensions causes issues. My first round of frames had top bars that set 1/8" lower than Kelley's do, and those hives build burr comb in that area.

Save yourself a lot of grief for the price of one frame. Once you have it, mimic it. My frames look quite different from theirs, but each part is based on their proven science.

Quote Originally Posted by DonShackelford View Post
    My first round of frames had top bars that set 1/8" lower than Kelley's do, and those hives build burr comb in that area.
    I am building frames based on the Beesource plans linked on post #2. On those plans, the dado notch in the end bars for the top bar to sit in is 7/16", while the top bar at that point is 1/2" thick, meaning the top of the bar would be above the end bar by by 1/16".

I was sure there was a typo in the plan dimensions, and passed that on to Barry. The response back was that the plans were correct, and the 1/16" difference was there deliberately to avoid having the the hive tool catch on the end bars when scraping the frame clean of burr comb.

I agreed, and followed the plans accordingly.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I am in the process of ordering from Kelley and having it delivered to a bee meeting in STL in a few weeks. But I have the next few weekends to spend making frames and was wanting to know how to make one. I have some ordered and can reverse engineer, in a few weeks. But I wanted it now. I thought that someone may have some information on it. I think the only detail needed is the top bar.

Time is running short, spring is coming fast.

Kelley catalog is kinda fuzzy when it comes to frames and foundations. I may just call them tomorrow.

Never mind. Kelley responded to my email. Seems like the SGX is almost the same as the Type N they sell and I have several of. Just slight larger dimensions. Thanks.