Hybrid View

Default Queen cell finisher, frame placement

I am planning on starting to raise a few queens this year, and am trying to plan ahead and get all the equipment I need together now. My question is with the queen right finisher hive. Since I have to have a queen excluder in place to protect the cells, and I use queen excluders under my honey super anyway, can I use a medium frame that I modified to hold queen cell bars in my honey super? It seems to me it should be okay, but I know the majority of the bees will be with the brood at night, will they neglect the cells? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by gscforester; 01-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: Queen cell finisher, frame placement

Anybody?

I think it should work. I'd put the cell bar in the center of the first box over the excluder.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I always have open brood either side of the cells because it's the young nurse bees that feed the queen lavae and the worker brood rather than the older foragers that you will find in your honey box.
    If you are using a single brood box with a honey box on top and the hive is very strong then while it's not optimal it will be ok because it will be reasonably close to the brood anyway.
    If you use two brood boxs then just put the excluder on top of the first brood box and put your frame of cells in the middle of the top brood box.
    you wont need another for your honey box.

As with most things beekeeping everyone will have their own opinion on what is best I'm just telling you what I do