Hybrid View

Default White Dutch / White Clover

Anybody have any experience with this. I was looking for White Dutch clover but it gets pretty expensive to ship in 50 lbs. The local feed store has white clover Louisiana S1 type. They are both Trifolium Repens. I was thinking of over seeding with Crimson clover in the fall.

Does anyone work white clover?

Thanks

Default Re: White Dutch / White Clover

Clover

Perhaps this will help.

I'm in the process of overseeding my pastures with ladino clover for my horses and with an eye to maybe encouraging the bees I don't have yet. Hopefully it will be established by the time I do get my bees and then we'll see what kind of bee forage it makes. I'm also overseeding the lawn and the garden area with dutch clover (that's the version that is low-growing). I'm hoping the weekly yard mowing this summer won't disturb it.

Just a bit of a bee forage experiment.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I have a patch of white and a patch of red naturally. Neither is a big patch. Bees in different years have ignored the red favored white, favored red ignored white, ignored both.

Bees love white dutch clover and I never fail to see bees on my lawn when its blooming good, I have spent the money and bought bulk seed and overseeded all the athletic fields and public lawn areas near me with white dutch and I think that it has been worth it. John

I planted 2 acres of white and 1 acre of crimson last summer. Never saw my bees in the white all summer / fall, but did see the bees in the crimson in the fall. After I had mowed it down and a second bloom of tiny flowers started late fall. Was told the honey bee tongues could not reach full sized crimson. Also was told, the reason I did not see my bees in the white clover, was the surrounding fauna was easier to harvest. Made sense, as you could find multiple bees in my 5 acre peony patch and the surrounding fireweed fields.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Bees love white dutch clover and I never fail to see bees on my lawn when its blooming good, I have spent the money and bought bulk seed and overseeded all the athletic fields and public lawn areas near me with white dutch and I think that it has been worth it. John
    Wow, the laws in your state allow you to seed public property with a seed of your choice?

Most athletic fields are managed for a certain kind of turf and many tax dollars are spent on that. Clover may be considered a feral weed. I doubt it is what the grounds keepers use.

jdmidwest, the athletic fields that I seeded were not what you would call real nice lawns, they were originally just weedy fields and now the township just keeps it cut, although I think they have overseeded the soccer fields with grass seed. They don't use any weed killer from what I can tell. John