Default Picked up my new bees!

They look great. I got a 5 frame nuc and she is a very good laying queen. Lots of brood, capped and uncapped. Lots of pollen and honey. Just got them situated before it was too dark to see. A few buzzed out then flew right back into the hive. Curious girls. I'll feed them tomorrow since it was too late tonight and its going down to the 50's tonight. They were not happy with the 1 1/2 hour car ride. Just peeked in on them with my night vision monocular and a few of them are walking around the outside of the hive. I am excited to have them finally home.

Joyce

Default Re: Picked up my new bees!

Cool ain't it. :-) I installed my first 4 packages today at 12:30. Went well. Electric fence is guarding them tonight from the many bears we have in the area. I'll be checking on them as the sun rises in the morning. Going to be the best Easter sunrise service ever!

Default Re: Picked up my new bees!

Got up about 7:30 this morning,62 degrees and some orientation flight going on. Now it's almost 10 am and the hive is buzzing. Just sat out with a cup of coffee and watched them. So cool and relaxing. Getting buzzed but no one shows any interest in me. I'm sitting about 5ft away. Even hubby came and looked. He seems interested too. Even though he won't admit it. Even thinking of getting his own bee jacket,just in case I need help of course. Whatever. If he enjoys it as much as I do,all the better.