Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Greetings from South Central Kansas

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  KsMilkMaid 
#1 ·
Starting 2 hives this spring. Just beginning bee keeping but my husband has been a long time bee keeper. He lost all his hives many, many years ago when Varroa first hit, then tried to get back into bees a few years ago with 4 nucs but lost them as well. So he didn't really want to try bees again, but I miss having them and miss the wonderful honey so thought I would give it a go myself. Hope all goes well. I'm really looking forward to the experience!!

#6 ·
I'm new here also, without the experienced husband. In fact, mine was against my beekeeping. Guess he changed his mind because "Santa" brought me a lovely starter kit.

Last night I attended my first beekeeping class.

There is so much to learn!

Nice to meet you, KsMilkMaid. I'm Tina, from Connecticut

#8 ·
Keep trying and I am most confident you will succeed. Maybe ask him for help ocassionally and I'll bet he'll once more be interested even though he seemed to really have bad luck. I just hope my one one queen and bees keep doing as well as I am guessing they are from watching them get pollen almost part of every day here in Las Vegas. It sure isn't like in Montana where I wondered for months if they really were doing O.K. and had enough honey to do well.

#9 ·
Sounds like you have a pretty nice guy and know how to keep him that way. I have always believed in trying to never take too much of the bees winter honey but knowing so little what that really means I usually take nothing the first year, I am sure if you ask others can help you in many areas of beekeeping.

#10 ·
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, there is a lot to learn. One minute I think I've got it down pretty good, the next I'm doubting myself. Can't wait to get the bees in - they are supposed to come May 5. Seems like such a long time, but have lots to do till then. Any tips could be appreciated, Tina, and good luck to you.

#11 ·
Thanks for the welcome samoadc! You know you are right. He IS starting to get excited too with me telling him about all the new this and that. I have confidence he will come around - he enjoyed it toooo much! He has already told me that he will carry my supers for me. Now how can you not love a guy like that?!?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.